Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Kotzen Class of 2022?

2»

Replies to: Kotzen Class of 2022?

• 18rstein18rstein Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I was notified I got the Kotzen today! It wasn't by email though. I got shipped a backpack with a folder inside with the info. The letter was dated March 2 and I live in upstate NY, so don't give up hope yet!
  • petrichor2000petrichor2000 Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Are you going to go to Simmons for sure?
    Well not for sure, but its definitely the best deal I have. And I'm not too picky. I think I'd be as happy going to Simmons as I would be if I went to the school that was originally my top choice school. What about you?
  • petrichor2000petrichor2000 Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    I'm in the same position. I've always wanted to go to an Ivy league or Stanford, but it's hard to turn down a full-ride. Also Simmons is a great school with a comforting atmosphere so I ultimately wouldn't mind going :)
  • asapmisasapmis Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I just found out I got waitlisted. Although it's much better than being rejected, this scholarship is the only way I could afford going to my top school. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Pray for me <3
  • outthedooroutthedoor Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @asapmis waitlisted for Kotzen or for admission to Simmons?
  • asapmisasapmis Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeah I pretty much gave up the Ivy dream when I realized that 1. I would drive myself crazy (I cried multiple times in tenth grade because I took honors physics instead of AP physics like my friends and thought I wouldn't get into college or something dramatic like that) and 2. I would pay full price and that is way too much money for undergrad. And that's even if I got in. Anyway, now I have to decide between Simmons, Case Western (my most expensive option, despite a scholarship, I'm still paying $30k a year including room and board), and SUNY University at Buffalo where I got their presidential scholarship so I'd pay $11k a year including room and board. So idk. I love Boston, but I wanted a bigger school, but UB is so vlose to home and in Buffalo which is an eh city compared to Simmons and I'd see kids from my high school...Case is amazing but is it really worth it? Are there really better research opportunities there than at Simmons? Also at Simmons, is their premed program developed enough? But if I went to Simmons, I could pretty much go to any med school I got into with the money my parents saved for my undergrad plus minimal loans compared to what other kids will have to do. So I don't know. So stressed deciding!
  • aimster888aimster888 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    @18rstein It was my understanding, that in combination with the other schools in the consortium, going to Simmons College would give you all the benefits of a small school (personalized attention, belonging to a close-knit community) while also providing the benefits of a large school (numerous extra-curricular activities, myriad course opportunities and access to several different types of facilities). Did you not get the feeling of this when you visited or do you think that it’s just a marketing ploy? I’m truly curious as to your impressions because my daughter is looking at Simmons as well and she also thought she wanted a large school so we are in process of making some similar decisions. Thanks for your thoughts/insights!
  • bigpadrebigpadre Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Congrats to Kotzen scholarship recipients. My daughter is interested in Simmons next year, and was wondering what kind of academic stats the scholarship recipients had - GPA, rank, SATs, etc. Thank you!
  • CatLover20CatLover20 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I too would appreciate that information @bigpadre
  • bigpadrebigpadre Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @CatLover20, my daughter did not receive the Kotzen scholarship and I was surprised that she wasn't called for at least an interview. Somehow I don't think it is all about the academic stats/school involvement when it comes to this scholarship.
  • CatLover20CatLover20 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @bigpadre oof that's disappointing to hear. i had a feeling it was based around connections-- only given to high profile types who attended private high schools and could have money to donate to the school
  • iaminternationaliaminternational Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, congrats! I want to apply for Fall 2019, if you don't mind, could you share some pointers as to how your application looked like (in terms of extracurriculars and stuff)? Wanna get a feel to what I'm up against. Thanks :).
This discussion has been closed.