Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Singaporean connection

Replies to: Singaporean connection

• meltmelt Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    are there really so few singaporeans on CC? there was like a very very long Singapore Connection thread before this one. hm...
  • tripwirestripwires Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    melt: Yes I'm female. :) I do know that my faculty (law) has exchange programmes with US universities but due to a vast lack of interest in the course, getting good grades in order to qualify for exchange is going to be very difficult. The more I lack interest in something, the more I self-destruct. But hey, thanks for that post all the same. I SHOULD think positively for a change!

lightfish: How is your written Chinese crap? (Mine is too. Amazingly crap.) My real question is, how long have you been there? Haha um, well, I went to primary school for a year, after which my mom shipped me back to Singapore to learn English. Now my English is way better than my Chinese, a thought that is both depressing and embarrassing. :)

I read in one of the threads that 22 Singaporeans applied to Yale early decision. Where are they?!
  • rayyyrayyy Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I guess they don't visit this website, or if they do, very infrequently. My classmates were deferrerd from Harvard and Yale respectively. Sigh. Somehow very few Singaporeans apply early to US universities. Most of the people I know who did were Chinese and ASEAN scholars.
  • CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,334 Senior Member
    haha whoa do singaporeans like yale or what. i ED'd Cornell and got in :D so surprised actually. second choice was UMich or one of the UC's.

i've lived in taipei for nearly 3 years now but i used to visit every year ever since i was born because all my family are here. studied Chinese at home and at Sunday school (sooo not fun) when i lived in south africa as well.

i have a taiwanese friend whose parents also shipped her to singapore to learn english when she was 9. her english is most likely better than her chinese now too.
    hahaha you know what, my chinese sucks too. BIG TIME in fact, and nearly 3 years of not learning the language certainly doesn't help. Looks like most of us here who applied ED got in to the uni of our choice, so congrats!

Tripwire: NUS Law is awesome and i know you need pretty good grades to get in. However, i know if given a chance to go overseas, you'll take it in a second right? I thought so, thats what my law friends feel too. But work hard yea, you'll never know what comes in your way :D.
    where are the singaporean applicants?
  • ahluwaliaahluwalia Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    hello hello finally i see this thread.

I applied to pton ED (with rayy), I got deferred - will wait patiently in hope till april. in my class 1 yale deferral, 1 yale rejected. 7 people are applying stanford RD out of 26. last year rj had 120 stanford applicants, dunno why stanford is so popular - do they think because its not ivy its easier ot get in? I dunno..

yes, where are the singaporeans..
  • rayyyrayyy Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Heh I really have no idea. Yes Stanford is just amazingly popular with Singaporeans. The science people are applying, the maths people are applying and even the arts people are applying. I always thought that while Stanford is a phenomenal school, engineering is what stands out in Stanford. Beats me why the humans people are applying to Stanford and not Harvard or Yale, which strike me as more artsy schools...
  • sixsixtysixsixty Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    It's probably the weather...
    yup thats true I know people who want to go to cali cos of the weather, and shun schools in the NE cos of the cold - maybe thats why dartmouth is not popular among sporeans.?
    haha dying again...
  • rippledancerippledance Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    hey everyone - singaporean living in california here, just got into stanford EA. =D *waves* yeah the weather here is great.
  • KjoodlesKjoodles Registered User Posts: 1,510 Senior Member
    "Beats me why the humans people are applying to Stanford and not Harvard or Yale"

According to my dad who's a prof at NTU, its because Singapore has a much closer relationship with Stanford in that it seems at the top of the heirachy- most would have various associations with Stanford so its like as if its more recognised and accepted than say someone from Princeton. The vice-chancellor and deans and stuff there mostly have Stanford degrees so the Stanford alum network is seemingly stronger than say for Harvard or Princeton.
  • oOStarGazerOooOStarGazerOo Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    maybe the westcoast is more appealing? more orientals? who knows.
  • psalm139psalm139 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Hello all!
    just chanced upon this, didn't see this thread the last time I came here. Anyway are all of you on scholarships/going only if you get a scholarship? Any of you on financial aid? Made the mistake of not applying to a needs-blind sch for intls...going bond-free is my 1st choice!