Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Singaporean connection

Replies to: Singaporean connection

• paulkim436paulkim436 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Hi guys, a fresh JC2 here crying because of the difficulty levels of the tests and also the horrible exam results I left behind. Who's applying to US uni this year?
  • skyblade1234skyblade1234 Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    @paulkim436 don't worry I was like you last year, and I'm headed to Purdue this year. Just push on!
  • Narakrishna2Narakrishna2 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Also a Fresh J2 here...Common Test is coming and I feel that's gonna shatter me one more time...But always be hopeful!Which JC are you in by the way?
  • IntlApplicantIntlApplicant Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    SG Applicant here
    Accepted BU, UCSD, McGill, UToronto and USC
    Waitlisted UVA and NotreDame
    Rejected UCB and UCLA :((

Screwed around way too much during my IB (only 36), so I'm very surprised actually
    How did you guys fare?
  • ComposerSoldierComposerSoldier Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2016
    Another SG Applicant here!
    Accepted Boston Conservatory, CalArts, BU, Bard, SUNY Purchase Conservatory and DePaul so far!
    Still waiting on Berklee and NYU
    Rejected by USC, NEC and Northwestern.
    Any SG students applying for music (especially composition)?
  • corleonniscorleonnis Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm applying to the US this year!!
    Do we need to submit out Mother Tongue Alevel results because that's the subject I really screwed up in :'(
  • kandykoloredbabykandykoloredbaby Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    A J2 here :-)
    I'm shooting for the Ivies (trying my luck), so if any of you want to discuss apps stuff, hit me up! And good luck to everyone here for their prelims!!
  • reuynshardreuynshard Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Hi guys, I'm a Singaporean currently doing NS and will be headed to Yale next fall, possibly majoring in CS+Math, but still undecided. I was also accepted by Caltech, Columbia, UC Berkeley (for EECS) and Duke among others. My school counsellor wasn't particularly helpful, and there's a paucity of information on the web with regards to applying as an international student, so I understand the process can be highly uncertain. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me :) (Please don't ask me to chance you though, I really don't know)
    @reuynshard Congrats! Do you have any tips on supplementary materials - whether it's wise to submit a research extract for a H3 paper/IB EE if it was very pivotal in shaping my academic interests? I'm not a STEM kid, but a likely humanities/SS major.

Thank you! Any other general tips would be helpful too :)
  • reuynshardreuynshard Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    @kandykoloredbaby A lot of universities have special portals for uploading research papers/academic essays/abstracts. If your paper is of a reasonably high standard (doesn't need to be groundbreaking research) then it helps to submit it in their portal. I also added a 50 word summary in front of my paper for those who might not have time to read the whole thing, summarizing my research as well as the context behind it (i.e. where and why I did my research, and how I ended up with that topic).

If you feel really passionate about your research then you might also consider weaving it into one of your essays to emphasize your intellectual curiosity. You don't need to be a STEM kid to submit research papers, evidence of any academic work of a high quality is always a plus.
    @reuynshard Great, I'll consider doing this - thanks for the reply!
  • Harvardbound2017Harvardbound2017 Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Hi, has any Singaporean gotten into an Ivy before with not so great grades? My grades in Secondary 3 and 4 are a mixture of As and Bs (more As than Bs), but my J1 grades were B/BBCD and in J2 they were A/ABBC. My SATs are 2340 and subject tests 800/800. I heard US schools are a little more lenient towards Singaporeans when it comes to academics because they know how harsh our grading is... is it true?
  • Lin567Lin567 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi people

What qualifies as "extra coursework", and "educational preparation programs"?

These are subsections under 'activities and awards' (which are basically ECAs) in the UC Application.

Would appreciate any input.

Thank you :)

• jennyong45jennyong45 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi guys.
    I'm a Singaporean who basically grew up in China, therefore i'm fluent in Chinese. I'm also taking IB Chinese B HL and doing pretty wel. Would it be wise for me to take the SAT 2 Chinese? Have any of you taken it b4?
  • Happygirl98Happygirl98 Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Hi I don't know if you are still active on this forum but if you are so you mind to share with me your application results? Because I'm in a similiar situation as you I'm also from Hwa Chong the difference is I'm not a Singaporean. Thanks so much!