Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Yale-NUS College Class of 2023

Replies to: Yale-NUS College Class of 2023

• nobodybamnobodybam Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Did anyone else receive emails about interviews? I submitted my app on 2ndd January with Yale app.
  • hanu11hanu11 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I applied via Yale CommonApp 01/03 but I didn’t submit my tests scores until 01/10. I haven’t had any interview emails either.
  • kimtaehyungkimtaehyung Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    I submitted my application 01/02 and received an email on 01/15 telling me I was shortlisted for an interview. Does anyone have any advice for Yale-NUS interviews? Mine is scheduled for this Thursday.
  • GullibleBoiGullibleBoi Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Guys can you chance me
    SAT:1460
    SAT SUBJECT: MATH 2:760
    PHYSICS:740
    Citizenship: Indian
    GPA:80%
    EC's: district level badminton. President of a national civic club, director of an asia wide cultural club(I was the director for just my district though). Won in state level drama competitions. Participated and won in many marathons and cyclothons. Developed a late fee billing system for the school library. Member of the school prefect council. Won in 2 MUN's(1 state level and 1 international) and chaired a committee in one.
    Yale-NUS ESSAY: 7.5/10
    Common App essay:8/10
    Counsellors recommendation:6/10
    Teacher reco letter 1: 10/10
    Teacher reco letter 2: 7/10
    Yale-NUS is my top choice and I cannot imagine myself studying anywhere else
  • hanu11hanu11 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    You can go browse the college confidential page for last year’s applicants and I remember someone posting potential questions as well as how their own interview went. Best of luck!

Also, would you mind sharing your stats?

I haven’t heard back in nearly a month, and I’m getting a little worried. If I am not shortlisted, does that mean I do not have a shot at this school?
  • kimtaehyungkimtaehyung Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    @hanu11

SAT I: 1510 (800 Math, 710 English) (2 sittings)
    ACT: 33 (1 sitting)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.9
    AP: AP Literature (5), AP Language (4), AP US History (4), AP Studio Art-Drawing (4), AP Environmental Science (4), AP Calculus AB (4), AP US Government (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Comparative Government, AP Psychology, Beginning Jewelry Design, Chinese III, AP Statistics, AP Biology, Honors Geology, Honors Astronomy
    ECs: school musical, choir, summer internship for a professional theatre company, summer volunteer camp counselor, mock trial (regional champs, state champs, a top 5 team at nationals), national honors society, visual arts, recreational figure skating, some others…
    Common App essay: 10/10? I chose the identity prompt. I was proud of what I wrote, I think it said a lot about me, my history, and my aspirations.
    Counselor’s recommendation: 7/10? I come from a large school where it is really hard my counselor to write specifics about her students.
    Teacher recommendation 1 & 2: 10/10 I really enjoyed the teachers that I asked and I think they wrote strong letters.
    Strengths: I go to a local but competitive math and science magnet school for my STEM classes. I have had a challenging curriculum throughout high schoool and strong recommendation letters confirming this. I feel like my voice through my writing is very genuine.
    Weaknesses: My standardized testing scores may not be as high as others applying to very competitive schools. My GPA and by extension, class rank, has fallen this last year because I decided to take some challenging courses outside of my comfort zone. I have many extracurriculars but only a couple that I've participated in for a long time, and I have no leadership roles.
  • amarmishraamarmishra Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    People have started getting invites for interview
  • nushkismumnushkismum Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My daughter submitted her application on Jan 13. She got her interview call today.
  • GullibleBoiGullibleBoi Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Can u share your daughter's stats
  • ts2807ts2807 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @achilleees @sghkg8 @bsb4389 @DEEPUSS hello guys! I had a question regarding the interviews: does it matter who conducts it? as in, whether it is an admissions rep or a currents student? do admissions rep only interview people they're serious about or are considering for merit schols and leave the likely rejected ones to current students? please help I'm really stressed about this yikes
  • bsb4389bsb4389 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    @ts2807 interviews are assigned randomly, every interviewer has the same amount of clout :)
  • ts2807ts2807 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 6
    @bsb4389 thank you so much for replying!
  • ItsComingHomeItsComingHome Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I submitted my application on Jan 15th. Yale-NUS has stated that it will take approximately 2-4 weeks to get an interview invite.
  • yungmuncheryungmuncher Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Had my interview recently. I would recommend anyone having an interview
    to have at least 2 mock interviews before the actual one. If y’all have specific questions you can ask me.
  • yungmuncheryungmuncher Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Questions were the normal, but if you are like me and have trouble articulating it’s best to make bullet points for each question. Apart from paying attention to @msnerdyyy ‘s advice, I suggest you really dig deep into what you intend to major in.