Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

So what's the deal with January term?

2»

Replies to: So what's the deal with January term?

• spiritinthenightspiritinthenight Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Wait I thought the "official" winter break was just over a week long? I read online that exams end December 22nd.
  • upstatemomupstatemom Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    This sounds like a fantastic opportunity and I'm going to encourage my d to do it! Yeah Smith!

A bit off subject but....We belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) co-op farm and my d has really enjoyed working on the farm and wants to continue volunteering at a CSA in the NoHo area. There is one right in Noho and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this?
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    @spiritinthenight, I think it's usually like 10 days? So not quite two weeks. Anyway, whatever it says on the website is what it is, and you can't be on campus during that time. But any time after that, it's all good.

Upstatemom -- I don't know about volunteering at a CSA, but I do know that Smith and Hampshire both have pretty active community gardens if that's of interest to her.
  • overwhelmedmaoverwhelmedma Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I think they do but as someone said they vary - this was taught by someone on the kitchen staff. The funny thing was she was used to cooking for large groups and there were only about 10 people in the class so they often had enough left overs for a second meal.
  • MariLovesBooksMariLovesBooks Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Sophomore year, I spent J-term doing the Urban Education Initiative Fellowship offered by the education department. I basically spent a month living in New York City interning at an all-girls charter school in East Harlem. Smith arranged everything and covered transportation, lodging and food. It was an amazing and eye-opening experience - definitely something you might want to apply for if you're considering going into education!
2»
This discussion has been closed.