Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Replies to: Houses?

• spiritinthenightspiritinthenight Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Anyone want to talk about Tyler? I stayed there during Open Campus and loved it and I'm really psyched to be living there, so anything anyone wants to tell me would be great :)
  • roseperpetualroseperpetual Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Does anyone want to talk about Lamont? It looks really awesome so far, and I'm pretty excited to be living there next year :).
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    Lamont is host to the famous/infamous Immorality party each year. They also have a mounted moose head in their stairwell, which rival houses attempt to steal each year.
  • jcbaby852jcbaby852 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    S&P I thought that was Talbot...? Anyway Northrop/Gillett (I'm inclined to think Gillette) is in for a huge awesome renovation this summer and everything inside will be brand spanking new avec an elevator apparently!
  • jcbaby852jcbaby852 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @zmb2711 Capen has some kind of plastic flooring. Not the prettiest but nothing a good rug/carpet cannot fix. Also it makes for easy cleaning :)
  • BrittanybBrittanyb Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Typical overexcited first year post:
    I'm going to be in Capen. Anything I should know/please divulge everything you know.
  • mcb150mcb150 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeah, its Talbot, not Lamont, that has the moose head, immortality, and the rivalry with Capen. Lamont is a pretty nice house, its got a great dining hall -maybe not the best food, but one of the prettiest, and I don't know too much about house community there but I had a couple friends who lived there that loved it.

I can tell you guys more about Capen though. I graduated a few years ago, but guess most things havent changed. The floors are linoleum in the rooms and this horrible carpeting in the halls, but i was fond of it. it somehow fits our personality quite well. we have an amazing house community, and are all (or almost all) completely insane. we party hard but are some of the smartest people i met at smith. its a good combination of getting work done but knowing how to have fun. send me a message and i can talk for hours about capen -figured i dont need to flood this thread with my gushing about the house.
  • teenage_clicheteenage_cliche Registered User Posts: 3,522 Senior Member
    Brittany and any others in Capen: There's some renovations going on in the house this summer. "Students returning to Capen and Sessions houses in the fall will be surprised to see new wallpaper on their walls, a fresh coat of paint on the woodwork and more efficient lighting fixtures. Fifteen of the rooms are getting new vinyl tile flooring."
    So that's something to look forward to :)

(also, if you have any questions about Capen send me a PM! I have fairly unstable Internet this summer but I'll do my best.)
  • rbouwensrbouwens Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    This is a neat thread!! Do all campuses have housing "characteristics" like this? I'm interested in Wheaton college IL at the moment, but they only have 4 res halls. There are quite a few houses and apartments, though. Any thoughts?
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    I'm not sure about Wheaton, you might want to ask on the Wheaton College forum for more information about their housing system.
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    It would be difficult to find a college more diametrically opposite from Smith than Wheaton (IL). BYU, Oral Roberts, Liberty (sic) University, Bob Jones. The military academies and Texas A&M would be more progressive.

Wheaton has more restrictions on its instructors/professors than most schools have on their students.
  • rbouwensrbouwens Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    What kind of restrictions? Is this something I should be wary of? I haven't done any research on Smith.....are you saying it's very liberal?
    If you think Smith being very liberal is something to be wary of, you definitely don't belong at Smith. Smith can be overly PC at times, imho. But if that's the worst thing you can say about a college, it's a pretty damned good college.

Wheaton (IL) has restrictions of faculty drinking (and possibly dating, I don't recall for sure). I think they might look upon the average Tea Bagger as being too liberal.
  • susgeeksusgeek Registered User Posts: 1,603 Senior Member
    rbouwens, Wheaton (IL) is an evangelical Christian school. Smith is a secular school. It is no more liberal than most other secular schools.....

Check out the Christian college board if you are truly interested in Wheaton. Christian Colleges - College Confidential
    A thread about Smith housing is not the place to find that information.

TheDad, Wheaton is not as conservative as you portray it. There are many more conservative ones, like Grove City, etc.

We all need to abstain from generalities.

This WAS a pleasant thread about Smith Houses...
    SG, I just answered the Q's where they popped up.

And Wheaton (IL) may not be Grove City, but it would make many lists of the most conservative 20-30 colleges in the country (at least that anyone has heard of). Our local paper (LA TIMES) had a long article on them a while back; the fact that faculty could be fired for drinking in the privacy of their own home kinda stuck in my mind as an example of "extreme."
This discussion has been closed.