Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Housing Assignments

Replies to: Housing Assignments

• SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    Most of the large all campus parties do happen in the Quad, though they don't happen in the same house every weekend. King is a good house because it's almost all singles, and you have a good dining hall. It's also one of the larger houses, I think around 100 residents? Some people prefer the smaller houses, it's a little bit more of an intimate experience because there's not quite so many people to get to know. But the nice thing about a larger house is that you have a wide variety of people to choose from when making in-house friends. So if you're not that into the party life, you can probably find people who feel as you do to hang out with.

Best piece of advice is just to be open minded. Smith College parties aren't like Animal House parties or other college parties in TVs or movies. You may find they're more to your taste than you realize, and if you don't, then there are plenty of other things to do on campus other than party. If there's a party going on you can always go into your nice quiet room, shut the door, and turn on a movie. Or go to another part of campus.
  • rocket6louiserocket6louise Registered User Posts: 3,391 Senior Member
    I stayed in Jordan when i was a prospie and the saturday night "partying" really wasn't that loud. It was some loud giggling and some stomping around in heels but that's about it. Nothing worth worrying about.

Also, King is pretty great. Most of the people who live there are really close with each other and have a great house community
  • MeandererMeanderer Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I am currently trying to get excited about living in Wilder (the Quad was my last choice in housing previously) and would love, love, LOVE any insider comments concerning it or the tiny quadrangle it shares with it's sister house.

I am also a more mellow and studious person by nature, so I am thinkful that the party scene isn't as extreme on the quad as my imagination led me to believe it might have been.

So incredibly pumped for Smith in any case. :D
  • McPucks1357McPucks1357 Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    King house has been known to be the Green Street of the quad in that it is the quietest of the houses. The singles definitely contribute to that quietness, and sometimes those sort of nicknames tend to be self fulfilling prophecies since when upperclassmen move around they move to houses that have the culture they want.

Partying at smith tends to be more subdued unless your house is hosting a house party. There are smaller room parties, but they tend to be quieter and generally pretty respectful of all of the people in the hall. When asked to quiet down by housemates, people are generally very amenable to those requests.
  • CarolynBCarolynB Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    Has everyone seen on FB all the renovation Smith is doing with a number of houses? The work is extensive and the houses are going to be gorgeous!
  • Bossf51Bossf51 Registered User Posts: 2,606 Senior Member
    Yes I've seen quite a bit of it...looks good. The main Smith web site has been giving a report on the construction each week on Tuesday. Here's a link to the latest info.

Smith College: News
This discussion has been closed.