As your biggest investment beyond Tuition, Room and Board...and inevitable incidentals, here are our learnings:
1) Smith Computer Store staff are VERY helpful, but will probably be very busy soon so you may want to get going on this "investment"
2) Order form/cat is at Smith College Computer Store - Back To School 2010
3) You save a bundle by having it shipped out of state (no Mass tax). You also get tech support if you buy at Smith, so it makes sense.
4) Seemed like you can NOT use 529 funds, but read the thread on CC or the IRS site and watch as your eyes melt. One "loophole" our Washingtonians might have looked to extend, but..hey politics, not my major!
5) The bundle saves a bit, but you "only" have like 20 backpacks to choose from. My D sees the backpack as an expression of her essence, so we have more shopping to do on that one.
6) You might ask them to put on CompuTrace which is lojack for the laptop. They DO reco it and for $140 for 4 years, seemed to make sense.
That's the high points. Good luck!