Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Question about STRIDE and general money stuff

Replies to: Question about STRIDE and general money stuff

• CarolynBCarolynB Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    It's always fascinating to see what direction a thread goes! Great idea, Brie99! Maybe the Sociology Dept could get in on the act as well! ;)
  • brie99brie99 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    The Soc Dept. will certainly be interested in Bossf51's "dark ages" when laundry was saved for the homecoming of college males. No doubt in the ancient past this was an exclusive male hierarchical rite as I vaguely remember the same cultural aspect of my college life. Way back then, I believe it was a celebration associated with males returning to the home...followed by massive 'fridge raids and a demand for the family car keys. I believe our society has evolved now to make this no longer a gender specific rite......
  • rocket6louiserocket6louise Registered User Posts: 3,391 Senior Member
    also, if you're looking to save money on laundry, wash your clothes, and hang them to dry. many houses have drying racks (or door knobs, door frames, dressers, get creative). It only takes a few hours and then your clothes won't shrink(our dryer's low setting clearly wasn't very low)
  • brie99brie99 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    To further the science of "Laundry At Smith" for those of us supplying their D's with their first ceremonial first bottle of detergent, should we be buying HE or normal?

I'd think Smith will have moved to more energy efficient HE machines, but I think this group will have the definitive answer.

And then if you have suggestions for the correct wrapping paper for the gift of Tide....

Thanks in advance!
  • upstatemomupstatemom Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    I just assumed regular detergent was needed and bought that. Hope I'm correct because we have a HE machine at home, so we can't use the regular stuff and I'd hate to waste what I got.
  • spiritinthenightspiritinthenight Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Wait do we need a special kind of detergent? I just got Tide.
  • rocket6louiserocket6louise Registered User Posts: 3,391 Senior Member
    Our machines can use any detergent. Don't worry
  • susgeeksusgeek Registered User Posts: 1,603 Senior Member
    I bought my daughter HE, only so that I could refill her bottle with our supply (we buy HE in bulk).

Regular machines can use either HE or "normal" detergent. HE machines can only use HE.
This discussion has been closed.