Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Transfer Reply Date

OrigamiQueen13OrigamiQueen13 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited April 2012 in Smith College
I was accepted to Smith as a transfer student for the fall and I'm really considering going, but I'm concerned about the reply date they gave me. I might be missing something in my packet, but I think I'm supposed to reply by May 1 whether I want to go or not. This isn't an issue except that the decisions for the rest of the schools I applied to don't come out until *after* May 1, with a reply date of June 1.

I don't want to sound ungrateful to Smith for accepting me, but at the same time I'd like to ask for an extension to see if anyone else accepted me. Do you think they would be flexible in allowing me to do that?

I don't want to accept Smith on May 1st only to see in late May that I got into a higher choice school, and I don't want to reject Smith on May 1st only to find out that I didn't get in anywhere else.

Can anyone shed some light on this dilemma?
Post edited by OrigamiQueen13 on

Replies to: Transfer Reply Date

  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    All schools have the right to set their own reply date, just as they can set their own date for when applications are due. You probably lose nothing by asking, but I doubt they'll grant an extension. After all, Smith has other transfer students, who applied by the later deadline, who could have your spot if you're not using it. So you've got to make the decision yourself whether you're ready to commit to smith or not. One option, if it's affordable to you, is to put down your deposit at Smith and then withdraw if you get accepted elsewhere. You'll lose the deposit of course, but you give yourself more time and some protection.
  • OrigamiQueen13OrigamiQueen13 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Am I allowed to say yes to Smith and then renege on my commitment? What is involved in that process?
  • Bossf51Bossf51 Registered User Posts: 2,598 Senior Member
    Yes, as long as you pay the deposit. Happens all the time. That's why they accept more people than they actually need for a class.
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    But keep in mind that if you renege, you don't get the cost of your deposit back. It does happen all the time however, people put down a deposit to hold their place in class and then decide to change their mind later. In the long run, losing the cost of a deposit is small compared to spending thousands at a school where you're not happy.
  • radiosonderadiosonde Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    OrigamiQueen - I actually put a deposit down on another school (Agnes Scott College) before Smith accepted me and then had to renege on ASC when my Smith acceptance came and I decided to attend. You lose your deposit but there is no real "process" for withdrawing your acceptance - honestly I just emailed the person in charge of transfer admissions and explained my situation and it was fine.
This discussion has been closed.