Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Maybe Smith should follow Colgate’s new policy.

124»

Replies to: Maybe Smith should follow Colgate’s new policy.

• roadlesstraveledroadlesstraveled Registered User Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    {{I think the schools at the top of the rankings are pretty honest.}}

Then the honest colleges should call Midd on their manipulations and level the playing field. Why should another student such as your daughter not apply to Midd b/c of misinformation? Everything worked out fine for her with her acceptance to Swath, but what about the next poor kid?
  • interesteddadinteresteddad Registered User Posts: 24,177 Senior Member
    The irony is that the real loser in publishing inflated SAT numbers is the school itself. I don't know how other parents look at it, but I viewed lower selectivity as a POSITIVE when the goal is to get acceptance letters! Think how many great applicants with SATs in the 1400 range take a look at Middlebury's published numbers and figure they don't have a shot.

To me, the best admissions values are schools that have superb academics and attainable selectivity. How many great applicants would Smith lose if they jimmied their SAT numbers to publish a 1380 - 1500 median?

I think the entire system works best when there is a high degree of self-selection in the applicant pools -- students selecting colleges that they can actually get into and that are specific good fits. Accurate data is key to self-selection.
    {{I think the entire system works best when there is a high degree of self-selection in the applicant pools }}

Commendable sentiment, but hope springs eternal. As long as applying is gratis and the commom app remains in use, students will continue to use the shotgun approach--ala Cheney. Take a shot at vast numbers of colleges, regardless that many may be an extreme reach, and you’re bound to hit one that will accept you.

{{How many great applicants would Smith lose if they jimmied their SAT numbers to publish a 1380 - 1500 median?}}}

The opposite effect might occur. Due to the perceived selectivity more students may apply. It certaintly would be an interesting experiment. Never mind they would be screwing numerous minority or low income students who couldn’t afford the SAT prep test. Or students that speak English as a second language, etc.

btw- why are you here? Glad to have you but you're a Swath guy :) Is it my charm or to irritate mini?
    I have an in-law who was an alumni interviewer for many years, so Smith is in the family.

Also, I like most of what Mini and TheDad have to say about the college.
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Most? Most?

Let me guess...except for the PC tinge?
    I didn't have anything specific in mind! But, I couldn't let Mini know that I agree with everything and risk losing a sparring partner!
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Well, foo.
    {{I have an in-law who was an alumni interviewer }}}

I didn't realize Smith had male interviewers. Alumni refers to two or more males. Or did you mean alumna interviewer? I couldn’t resist. :)
    Have no fear, it will but a short time that I screw up on something and I expect a fair retaliation.
    I think I’m still ticked I didn’t instantly comprehend the Midd numbers game as you did and I felt foolish.
124»
This discussion has been closed.