Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ED1 Class of 2021

Replies to: ED1 Class of 2021

• hailie164hailie164 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    ACCEPTED!! This is amazing!!
    Congrats to us all xD
  • AKeyAndAKiteAKeyAndAKite Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Congrats to everyone accepted (I can't wait to meet you all)!!!!!
  • soobbesoobbe Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    @Fangirl1999 and @smcirish - Here is a brief rundown of D's stats:

GPA 3.84 (weighted)
    10 Honors Classes
    ACT Composite 31
    EC's: 4yrs varsity bball, 4yrs varsity soccer, 2 yrs varsity xc - received various awards each year related to sports. Piano for 10 yrs, Operation Smile Club secretary 3 yrs, Diversity Committee 2 yrs, Internship in bio lab summer before senior year, clinic volunteer, church volunteer, special olympics coach, organized a special olympics clinic at the school and a book drive for a local non-profit. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something)

As you can see, she has good stats but nothing crazy. Her EC's are basically just things that she loves doing. She has a really strong common app essay, and the supplemental essay for Smith was a charmer - I think the essays are pretty important. She also visited and had a really great interview with an admission's person. Overall, she would tell you that she thinks her interview and her essay's were what got her in. Whether that is true or not? Who knows :)

Hope this helps? Good luck!
  • bhbcsmdbhbcsmd Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    My daughter was very excited to be admitted early decision to Smith for class of 2021. She has worked hard on her academics, and enjoyed her singing, athletics, and social activism through high school years. She is looking forward to great years at Smith.
  • curiouscollege1curiouscollege1 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    My daughter would really like to apply EDII but I feel like she and us (as a family) should apply RD to better assess financial and merit aid options, as she might be a candidate for merit aid and not solely need based aid. Was everyone who was accepted EDI, satisfied with their financial aid offer, if they were expecting Need Based Aid?
  • AtyrauloveAtyraulove Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    Our package matched the Net Price Calculator so there were so surprises. I knew we would qualify for financial aid, didn't think D17 would be a scholarship candidate.
  • NanosourNanosour Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Glad to hear the NPC was matched. DD is EDII and needs the FA package to match the NPC to make it happen. Fingers crossed [-O<
  • CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    FWIW
    The STRIDE award forms a part of students' federally determined financial aid. For admitted STRIDE students receiving financial aid, the award first replaces the loan part of the aid package. Merit awards cannot be added on top of student's determined need.

The STRIDE merit award is very beneficial for those who qualify for less than 20k in need-based aid. Or in case of the Zollman, less than 25k

• twobugstwobugs Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    D is thrilled to be accepted EDI; DH and I thrilled that our financial aid package is very close to what the NPC.
  • Fangirl1999Fangirl1999 Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    @CrewDad to my understanding it also reduces loan expectation for anyone
  • curiouscollege1curiouscollege1 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    ED Applicants/Parents. My daughter says the Smith Banner web lists her "required" documents as checked off except for the "Early Decision Agreement." Was this an actual paper form or just the acknowledgement portion of the Common App? Appreciate any insight.
  • VA_NYU2021_MomVA_NYU2021_Mom Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Congrats to all that were accepted. Does anyone know when regular decision applicants will be notified and will you receive the scholarship/financial aid decision as well?
  • SpringbirdSpringbird Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @OldCheermomDC, Check out this link to a former thread regarding dates for early writes, scholarship notifications, etc. These dates from 2016 aligned with Smith's notification timing from previous years as well, although you never know if they are going to change things up. Good luck!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/smith-college/1863234-early-writes.html
  • VA_NYU2021_MomVA_NYU2021_Mom Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Thank you Springbird.
  • soobbesoobbe Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    @curiouscollege1 I don't recall any other ED agreement other than the one for common app. Did you and your daughter both do the one for the common app? Also, bannerweb is not always up to date - but if you are concerned, just call or email admissions. They are super helpful.
This discussion has been closed.