Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

TB case at Smith

pestopesto Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
edited December 2007 in Smith College
In case anyone else heard on the local news tonight about the TB case at Smith and would like to know more, here is what the College is saying about it:

Smith College: News
Post edited by pesto on

Replies to: TB case at Smith

• TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    I just heard about in the e-mail edition of The Sophian.

Btw, how do you pronounce that: I say so-fee-an, someone else says so-fie-an (middle syllable rhymes with "eye," not "knee").
  • momofsmithiemomofsmithie Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    My D is constantly correcting me: it's so-fie-an.
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's Soph-EYE-An and Soph-EYE-ah Smith.

The TB thing is not too big a deal. It's contained and the infected people don't have active TB (except the girl that originally infected everyone) and the Dept. Of Health is getting them their treatment with Smith's assistance.
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Huh. I sit corrected. Well, next, do they pronounce it "Fred-er-ick" or "Froh-der-ick"?
  • pestopesto Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    S&P: I gather the same thing from what my D says -- the TB case has been contained. Nonetheless, it was a bit worrisome, as a parent, to hear about it on two different news channels, having not heard peep about it before.
This discussion has been closed.