Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Question about boys

2»

Replies to: Question about boys

• TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Smithies date each other - GUGs Gay until Graduation. The recruiting and pressure is intense.
    This is a flat out lie. Not only is there not intense recruiting and pressure, the incidence of what could be regarded as sexual harassment is much lower than at most co-ed schools.
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew Registered User Posts: 5,821 Senior Member
    Toadstool, that is erroneous information. You can't make a lesbian out of a straight woman. And yes, the majority of students ARE straight.

While LUGs (lesbians until graduation) do exist because bisexuality exists, it is not the norm. And students are not pressured to do anything, as you suggest.
  • bowwatchbowwatch Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Toadstool, Tell me more. I'm seriously considering Smith, but definitely don't want to be in the midst of intense GUG recruiting pressure.
  • CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    <Sighhhhh> Bowwatch, Toad has less credibility than Laplace’s demon. Nor does his argumentum ad nauseam make something so.

Read posts 527-532. Everything you need to know is there. Let this be the end of it.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/smith-college/112831-smith-college-36.html?highlight=toadstool
    CrewDad is correct. In four years of Smith, plus visits beforehand, D never experienced *any* GUG "recruiting" pressure, let alone "intense". Trollstool is a toad with an agenda.
  • stacystacy Registered User Posts: 1,100 Senior Member
    I attended Smith and had many good friends, gay, bi, and straight. While there are definitely situations where a queer Smithie will have a crush on a straight one, I've found that queer students will make an effort to find out whether their crush likes women before asking them out (hey, no one wants to be rejected!) and that saying "no thanks" is always appropriate and respected, whether it's because you don't like girls or because you don't like that particular girl. While there are people at every college with bad social skills or who harass people or actually commit crimes, I certainly don't think Smith has more sexual harassment than other colleges--in fact, I think it has a lot less (certainly less per capita than the large state school where I did my graduate work!).

In the three+ years since I've graduated, some friends who only/mostly dated women in college have dated/married men and some folks who only/mostly dated men in college have dated/married women. Most stuck with the gender they originally preferred (as my best friend says, "if I spent four years at Smith and didn't want to date any women, I'm definitely straight!") It's ok. People are tolerant and just want their friends to be in good relationships, regardless of the gender of the people involved.
    Cheers and whistles for Stacy's post.

And LOL about "If I spent four years at Smith and didn't want to date any women, I'm definitely straight."

And
    People are tolerant and just want their friends to be in good relationships, regardless of the gender of the people involved.
    deserves a Bravo Zulu. It captures the Smithie ethos perfectly.
  • CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    A pertinent fact that I believe is being overlooked is Toad didn’t have a dtr who attended Smith. She was at a Smith summer camp, which might or might not have had any Smith employees/students involved with his dtr’s particular program.

Stacy, tr
  • levodopalevodopa Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Let me assure you that while men are scarce, they're not difficult to meet.

I met my first college boyfriend on the Smith campus during my first semester here. I've met many guys at parties, five-college events, etc. My current boyfriend now is a UMASS senior and we met at a New Year's party (non-Smith) this year. My friends have taken classes at Amherst and UMASS and have formed great friendships with men and women alike. It's not like you'll be completely devoid of men at Smith. Trust me! If you're really concerned, take a five-college class or two.

However, don't try to meet men at Smith parties. They generally come here for one thing, the 75:1 female:male party attendee ratio.
2»
This discussion has been closed.