Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

SMU social life?

2»

Replies to: SMU social life?

• JMannequin2010JMannequin2010 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    @wellwhoaBoulevarding and Greek Life are definitely the largest campus social activites but other activities exist. There are always concerts, performances, etc. going on at Meadows. Program Council sponsors some interesting activites like open mic nights, free movie screenings (ex. I saw 50/50 one week before it came to theaters), Sing Song (different groups on campus put together singing acts revolved around a theme), R2B2 (an Indian dance competition), etc. Each community (dorm) puts on activites--attendance to such events really varies from hall to hall. Based on my experience, themed communities (Arts-Mary Hay and Payton and Honors-Virginia Snider) have more dorm stuff going on than the others. It's important to note though that campus can be dead at times on weekends. There are always parties off campus on weekends, but there is often little going on on campus. It's busy on weekends of home games, otherwise a lot of people go home on the weekends because they're from the metroplex. Sometimes you have to create your own fun.Once you make a solid group of friends movie night sort of stuff will become common. School was cancelled for nearly a week in February due to snow/ice. I spent almost the entire week watching a bunch of movies with friends in our dorm and braving the ice to eat off campus in Snider Plaza with them. Hope this helps in your decision!
  • wellwhoawellwhoa Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    That is very helpful actually, i did get the vibe that campus would be dead some weekends and making your own fun would be common. I wasnt planning on going greek, so campus activities are kind of important to me. Thank you so much!
  • abubba12abubba12 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Are there any places you can walk to uptown such as bars or popular places in Dallas? Are there many house parties?
  • smulovesmulove Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi! I'm a sophomore currently enrolled at SMU, and I can't think of a single dead weekend! I've always wanted to go to Billy Bob's (a honkytonky bar with two stepping in Fort Worth), but every weekend there's something keeping me from going! On any given day there will be something from a fashion show to a lecture series with Katie Couric. Dallas is such an amazing city and it's so fun to explore it on the weekends. SMU has discount sports tickets that I'd highly encourage everybody to take advantage of! I've been to multiple Stars games, Rangers, and the Mavericks. You can also go explore uptown if you're looking for a more sophisticated bar. The Katy Trail is a very popular place to go running or jogging and people often stop for brunch at one cute restaurants located along the trail. The Arts District also has great restaurants and nightlife. In my experience I don't know a SINGLE person who leaves on the weekends. I even stayed here over summer school because I couldn't leave SMU.
  • Peruna1911Peruna1911 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey I'm also a current student at SMU and I agree more with smulove than with JMannequin2010 about student life at SMU. In my experience I have found that weekends fly by in a whirl of literally never-ending activity. I always wonder where the time went and how the weekend has already passed. At SMU there is always something new to do or experience no matter if it's a school sponsored event on campus or something within the Dallas community. That is the beauty of this school... you not only have everything that the school has to offer, but also the opportunities that the Dallas metroplex has to offer. I only go home once a semester and by the end of those trips I am always itching to get back to SMU and I promise you that is how most of the student body feels as well. And like smulove I stayed here over the summer to work for SMU because I didn't want to leave. As for nightlife, the area around SMU has it all. Within walking distance you have a plethora of restaurants and bars that are frequented by the SMU crowd... Uptown (in my opinion one of the coolest areas in Dallas) is about a 4 minute drive from campus. There you have incredible night life and restaurants that are known for attracting the young professionals of Dallas as well. Some food for thought: Dallas has more restaurants per capita mile than New York City... many of which offer discounts and specials for SMU students
  • wellwhoawellwhoa Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @smulove & @Peruna1911

Thanks for the input!
    I will keep what everyone has said in mind when making my decision!
  • LuvBostonLuvBoston Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Peruna1911: What are the streets that are considered uptown where all the nightlife is located?
  • pickyconsumerpickyconsumer User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12 New Member
    There are clubs, restaurants, bars, an art movie house, and shopping on McKinney and the West Village, which is located between McKinney and Cole. Check out the websites: uptowndallas.net and westvil.com
  • LuvBostonLuvBoston Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Thanks. Are there any big watch parties for the bowl game Saturday?
  • investorinvestor - Posts: 198 Junior Member
    Our son is a freshman and he has been very up front about the social life, which he loves. But, compared to where our daughter attends (private liberal arts, 4,000 students) the party life at SMU is significantly greater in scope than our daughter's school. He says you can basically go out six nights a week, and most go out four to five nights. He's in honors so he had a hard time balancing it all the first two months. The fraternity parties are several nights a week, and the weekend fraternity parties are bussed out off campus, can be very elaborate (and fun). The kids could not be any friendlier, and many tend to come from well to do families. Run through a checklist of the friends he has met, and you'd be surprised at the opportunities he's been given just being there one semester..... "let's go skiing in Jan"., "let's just get a limo to take us here", "I have dad's tickets to Cowboy's game" etc. He is not complaining, he is having a blast. SMU is diverse, but his dorm, his classes, and the friends he has met in honors are all pretty similar in terms of having quite a lot. We spent the entire parents weekend with all his new friends and I never met a nicer, more polite bunch of kids. He's kept his head straight through it all. He did ask for cowboy boots for Christmas :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.