Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

This forum is completely dead!

pdesai06pdesai06 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Southern Methodist University
This forum is entirely dead compared to other school forums! Let's get some more comments and interesting topics of discussion! Anything from academics, parties, sports, activities, Dallas, to housing. ANYTHING! PLEASE! I really would appreciate all the information I can get before making a choice for college.
Post edited by pdesai06 on

Replies to: This forum is completely dead!

• pdesai06pdesai06 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Hundred of viewers, but no replies? Come on, I KNOW you want to contribute something to these discussions.
  • vijnetcomvijnetcom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    well.....there is really nothing else anyone wants to know...
    Ok, here, maybe this will spark some discussion:

1. For those of you who attend SMU or those planning to attend, why did you choose to go to SMU? Please explain.

2. Top three things you like about SMU.

3. Top three things you dislike about SMU.

4. Rank the friendliness of the general student body, 1-5. 1 being the least friendly, 5 being the most.

5. Which dorms are the best for first-years to meet other first-years?

6. How common is it for first-years to get a suite-style dorm?

7. How helpful are the professors? Please explain or give a personal example.

8. How is the partying scene?

9. If you don't join a frat/sorority, are you looked down upon by those who have joined?

10. Please rank the general enthusiasm and spirit among students for the school, 1-5. 1 being the lame and boring, 5 being lively, happy, spirited.

11. Additional comments/stories/experiences.

I'M REALLY TRYING TO CONTACT STUDENTS WHO ACTUALLY GO TO SMU. I'D LIKE SOME INFORMATION FROM A STUDENT STANDPOINT REGARDING THE TOPICS MENTIONED ABOVE. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    wow...you were serious...well i don't think you will find many existing students on this board, since it mainly a college search board.

Most of these questions can be answered by your admissions counselor (thats why they are there). Your admissions counselor can also put you intouch with a few existing students as well.
    why a suite-style dorm??
    I'm interested in suite-style dorms, that's why.

Additionally, collegeconfidential is not just a college search board. On other forums, many students who attend a school or are planning to attend that school ask questions, talk to people, so that they can make the right decision for their life. But obviously, it seems that no one here is interested in even answering some simple questions.

"well.....there is really nothing else anyone wants to know..."
    There's always something that someone wants to know.

Admissions counselors are there, yes. But I want a student perspective of the school. Admissions counselors cannot answer such questions as regards to an actual personal experience, parties, overall student attitude towards the school, etc. It's pretty sad that not even ONE person will reply to any of these questions. Is it that no one is really enthusiastic about SMU or just apathetic? Wait, why bother even asking questions?
    as I said before....call your admissions counselor and they can put you intouch with a current student there. People at SMU are too busy partying to answer some questions.
  • sendtherainsendtherain Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    I'm not a current student, but I've visited several times, done theatre plays over the summer there, and I live in Dallas anyway. Hopefully, I can try and answer some questions.

1. For those of you who attend SMU or those planning to attend, why did
    you choose to go to SMU? Please explain.
    Well, I haven't decided to go yet, but I'll probably have to because of the
    insane scholarships they've given me.

2. Top three things you like about SMU.
    1. Everyone there is SO nice.
    2. Meadows is amazing for theatre.
    3. Dallas is a vibrant community with a lot to do and explore (it's no New
    York or Los Angeles, but it's a lot cheaper)

3. Top three things you dislike about SMU.
    1. They are not as intellectually challenging as I would like (even with the
    Honors program)
    2. They don't offer what I want to double major in (Comparative Literature)
    3. There's too much of a sorority/frat scene for me.

4. Rank the friendliness of the general student body, 1-5. 1 being the least
    friendly, 5 being the most.
    I guess 4? I mean, the people whose dorms I stayed in were super-nice
    and incredible, but it's not like random people helped me out when I
    needed somehting. At USC (just for comparison), a ton of people came
    and talked to me at random times, showed me where everything was, or
    just saw me walking and invited me to have breakfast with them.

5. Which dorms are the best for first-years to meet other first-years?
    I've heard Boaz is the most social (but also way too many parties for me).
    My favorite is the Virginia-Snyder Honors community because they
    participate in activities with each other, but are also very conscious when
    it comes to studies.

6. How common is it for first-years to get a suite-style dorm?
    If you choose the Fine Arts or Honors Community, it's almost guaranteed.
    Otherwise, you're a little screwed.

7. How helpful are the professors? Please explain or give a personal example.
    From what I've seen, they are very supportive (especially for the size of
    the university). One of the Theatre professors continuously calls me to see
    if I need any financial aid or to answer my questions about the program or
    the college. When I stayed at one of the dorms, my host had been sick
    and I saw that she got emails from her professors asking how she was and
    informing her of what she had to do for next class.

8. How is the partying scene?
    I've heard it's pretty big/wild, especially in sororities/frats, but you don't
    have to join in on it. In my opinion, it'd be comparable with USC's partying.

9. If you don't join a frat/sorority, are you looked down upon by those who
    have joined?
    No.

10. Please rank the general enthusiasm and spirit among students for the
    school, 1-5. 1 being the lame and boring, 5 being lively, happy, spirited.
    Eh... 3, none of them looked like they wanted to stab themselves, but
    there wasn't much real school spirit. I mean, for the most part, they were
    happy, but not necessarily woot-go-to-SMU.
  • tracemhuntertracemhunter Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    i agree, this places needs some discussion.

1. I chose to go to SMU because it is easy to transfer to from where I currently go (I live in the DFW area), the business program is top-notch, SMU is THE school of Dallas, oh and the girls are hot.

2. Girls, location, everyone is friendly

3. the Greek scene, the girls can park anywhere on campus and the guys have to park in the back

4. 5, during the tour some people just walked up and started talking to me and my cousin.

5. If you are horny and loud, Boaz; otherwise McAlveney is a safe choice. ****tles is a ****ty dorm place from what I have been told.

6. Not sure, i'm coming in as a sophomore. :P

7. They are ranked highly. A lot of the profs on ratemyprofessors.com have smilie faces next to them.

8. Most of the parties are hosted by the Greeks at bars and clubs around Dallas, you take a shuttle there so you don't have to worry about driving home. :)

9. I think that it isn't really looked down upon but you will probably feel a little left out at times.

10. 4, nobody cares about the sports but most people tend to like it there.
    Hey! Thanks for your imputs!! And does anyone know what the Hilltop is? I got a letter a while back actually saying that I was welcomed to the campus on Hilltop. What does that mean? lol.
  • tracemhuntertracemhunter Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    I don't know but I got a response in an email that had that in it as well. Here is the beginning of the email:

"Mr. Hunter,

Greetings from the hilltop here at Southern Methodist University!"

The admissions department is in the ginormous Blanton building. that might have something to do with the "hilltop".
    that's exactly what I got. hm...
    What are your general feelings towards SMU? Are you looking forward to going there? Also, tracemhunter, where are you transferring from? Sendtherain, are you going to go to SMU or USC? USC is such a great school! I wish I would have applied in time. blah..
  • sendtherainsendtherain Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure that Hilltop Scholars is a honors community, but you don't have to take all the honors courses that... the other one does, lol. You get to live together in the same building and take your classes together there, too.

I've been debating it, and I really think USC has more to offer me in terms of general academics. But SMU does have a great BFA Theatre program (while I'd just be doing BA at USC). In the end, I'm hoping to go to Columbia if they give me enough aid. But otherwise, I think USC...

I hate making these kinds of deicisons :/
    Ya, I know what you mean. Actually for me, it was down to SMU and Boston University. BU definately would have a lot more to offer, but since I'm planning on going into medicine or dentistry, it's a lot easier to get into med/dental school in Texas. So if I don't get into any med schools elsewhere, atleast I would have a chance in Texas. Gotta have a back up plan! I'm also considering transferring to Tufts my sophomore year. hm...

USC would probably be a better choice, but that's just me. And...it's in CALIFORNIA! :)
This discussion has been closed.