Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Volunteer work for social service workers?

Myagirl1234Myagirl1234 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Can anyone help me choose a volunteer program? I'm trying to get into the social service worker program and volunteer work is highly recommended. What fields would best contribute to the social service field that will take volunteers?

Replies to: Volunteer work for social service workers?

• PositivelyMePositivelyMe Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Hello,
    I'm assuming you mean the field of social work? The good thing about social work is that the skills are transferable in a variety of social service settings. You don't have to necessarily specialize. You can volunteer in aging (e.g. senior centers, nursing homes), children's services, medical centers (e.g. hospitals,), places where people have developmental delays (e.g. Easter Seals), shelters (i.e. homeless, women and children, etc.), mother-child type services, and community organizing (e.g. The Boys and Girl's clubs, Big Brother Big Sisters, etc.). There's a wealth of volunteer opportunities when you want to help "those in need". Hope this helps. You can look in the "blue pages" of the phone book (listed as government/human services) for some of these resources.

Be sure to get your Master's Degree or do a double major since this field is known as being one of the lower paying jobs. Wish I had.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,082 Senior Member
    Also consider food banks and stores like Goodwill. You can find volunteer opportunities in Craigslist. Libraries may also have volunteer opportunities. What skills and talents would you bring?

Just decide what interests you and why and then present yourself to the service. Other volunteers will direct you to staff who will talk to you.
  • My CupcakeMy Cupcake Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Conservation Volunteer Program..One good advantage of conservation volunteer projects is that they are often results-orientated so it’s far easier for you to identify -- and measure -- your impact. Conversely, your impact may not always be welcome.