right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What is a “courtesy defer”?

My college counselor told me that one of the colleges I applied to referred to me as a “courtesy defer” applicant. What does this mean, and is it good or bad? Thanks.
26 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What is a “courtesy defer”?

• chb088chb088 969 replies32 threads Senior Member
    That doesn’t sound good. I’m sorry.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34541 replies392 threads Senior Member
    I believe it means you were deferred rather than outright rejected in your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 798 replies6 threads Member
    It means that for whatever reason, they didn't want to send you a rejection letter, but the deferment is essentially a rejection. I'm sorry. Onward!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent 882 replies16 threads Member
    It is a soft no unfortunately.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Often given to legacies when a college doesn't want to offend, but doesn't want to accept you. Courtesy waitlist is common, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • BrianBoilerBrianBoiler 738 replies15 threads Member
    How do they know? It obviously doesn't say we are offering you a "deferment but really mean rejection." Is the GC's opinion? Or did they have discussions with the AO at the University and was told that?

Just Curious.
    · Reply · Share
    @BrianBoiler Usually your college counselor calls and has a discussion IME.
    · Reply · Share
  • SevenDadSevenDad 4286 replies136 threads Senior Member
    FWIW, not just for legacies, can be used in situations where high school has good/long relationship with college admissions office.

Also why would a college counselor tell an applicant this info?
    · Reply · Share
    @SevenDad So the applicant focuses on other schools and doesn't bother with a LOCI, I assume.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34779 replies392 threads Senior Member
    In itself a defer isn't bad. After all, they'll re-review your app in the full pool. "Courtesy" doesn't tell enough, what else did your counselor say? Without knowing the college and your details, we'd only be speculating.
    · Reply · Share
  • VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 1061 replies15 threads Senior Member
    It's a " We like you... but No".
    · Reply · Share
  • SevenDadSevenDad 4286 replies136 threads Senior Member
    @PetraMC: I guess...but IMO, you can drop hints in other ways than saying you were a "courtesy defer". There is no upside of telling a kid that — at least the way I look at things. That's like saying "Oh, they just did that to be nice." How does that help anyone?!? Just tell the kid to move on.
    · Reply · Share
  • harearharear 21 replies6 threads Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    Doesn't sound good
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • sadsituationsadsituation 5 replies1 threads New Member
    The CC said they didn't know and it didn't sound great but mentioned a time where another student who was called a "courtesy waitlist" was let in quickly off it. I am a legacy at the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Normally I'd say you aren't getting into that school. They deferred you instead of rejecting you to avoid annoying your parents/grandparents who attended the school. You can certainly express interest and send along any updates you have to accomplishments. But I'd make the assumption that you probably aren't getting in, and move on to focus on your other choices.
    · Reply · Share
    I still wonder where the term "courtesy" came from. Was it the counselor's interpretation or the adcom told her? Defer isn't generally like waitlist (which does send diferent messages, depending.)

Is there a legit reason for the GC to discourage you? Eg, your app isn't up to this school's standards and she doesn't want you to over focus on this one college? Because defer can simply mean they want to re-review you. There's too much we don't know. Were others from your hs accepted?

I'm not one to falsely encourage. But withot more info, we're assuming.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom 1670 replies10 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Because the OP is a legacy I would think it’s a soft no. I would think effort and hopes should be put elsewhere.
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Don't assume legacy means an auto admit or no chance at all. At this point, all we know is legacy, not one iota more, no stats, ECs, or even the tier of college.) OP may be good, but borderline, not enough for an Early admit but still in play. Or this may be a misfire, he's reaching past his grasp. The caginess makes me wonder.

Now he/she says the GC has used the term for another kid, as well. It may be the GC assuming "courtesy." We don't even know what sort of hs this is, whether the type where an adcom would describe a defer that way to a counselor. It's rare for an adcom to say that. And this GC seems to have at least two kids she heard this about. Really?

Something is lost in translation. If OP gave more detail, we'd have a better idea. Now that's up to OP.
    · Reply · Share
  • sadsituationsadsituation 5 replies1 threads New Member
    My SATs are average for the school (1410), but my GPA is slightly below average. The school is UVA.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity