Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

OOS question

2»

Replies to: OOS question

• kecoterkecoter Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Thank you for the link - I had not seen this particular one - NJ applicants are getting in somewhere...:)

We have purchased the MSAR guide and it is very helpful- it is possible that he is cherry-picking but isn't that how a school is chosen? A number of his choices did not accept NJ students during this past cycle..that said, he does have plenty of options available to him- he simply was curious as to why NJ was excluded at a number of schools ....

Have you been thru the med school application cycle before or just going thru it now like us?? Good luck if now- it is a FT job in itself...
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 10,183 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    @kecoter
    Have you been thru the med school application cycle before or just going thru it now like us?

BTDT. Twice.

D1 is PGY3 (3rd year medical resident); D2 is a MS4 (4th year medical student) who will graduate in May.

You're going to find a lot of this process feels completely random. (It isn't, but the process certainly isn't transparent either.) Hang on--it's a very bumpy ride with no guaranteed happy outcome.

BTW, Residency Match--should your son get to that point--is just as bad or worse. (Worse because the student's fate in the hands of computer algorithm and the student only gets one Match--take it or get out of medicine.)
    Ironic you should say that...i was just mentioning to him that i had thought the stressing over admissions will be over when he got in to med school- THEN i realized, RESIDENCY is even more stress!! ....It will never end!!!
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 10,183 Senior Member
    And don't forget STEP, OSCE, and NMBE exams. Have a bad day for any one of those and it could abort your medical career.

And that's just while they're in medical school!

There are still more during residency and afterwards.

It really never ends.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,303 Forum Champion
    A number of his choices did not accept NJ students during this past cycle..
    Do you know how many NJ students applied? When these schools reject 95%+ of their applicants, if only 30 people from NJ applied, the odds that none of them get accepted are quite high.
    I do not believe they specifically say the number of applicants per school per state...only the home state of first years who matriculated.... it seemed odd that so many schools did not have a student from NJ this past year...could just be the crop of applicants...
    I know...i'm not sure i'll ever relax...lol!!
This discussion has been closed.