Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

You get admission chances boosted if you're GAY?!

2»

Replies to: You get admission chances boosted if you're GAY?!

• FlyingFeatherzFlyingFeatherz Registered User Posts: 358 Member
    No joke, in all of my school's history, only one person has gotten into Stanford. And yes, he was gay and talked about it in his essay. It allows them to stand out.
  • CalvinTBODCalvinTBOD Registered User Posts: 869 Member
    Just think about it. Everyone here is mentioning their friend who was accepted because their essay about their sexuality allowed them to stand out. But does it really? The adcoms at Stanford (or any university for that matter) aren't dumb. I'm pretty sure they get thousands of generic essays from LGBT members talking about how they overcame the challenges faced by their stigmatisms. And I'm pretty sure they know that orientation isn't a means of accepting one's application over another. But in the end, they like to see how your genetics and choices have affected your life, and being a homosexual happens to be one of them. If you have a standard application just like everyone else, and you tick the box that says "homosexual" on your application, it's not going to make adcoms prefer you over anyone else.
  • phantasmagoricphantasmagoric Registered User Posts: 2,200 Senior Member
    ^ Adcoms have seen thousands of essays on everything. Nothing is unique. The point is to take something about yourself and talk about it in an interesting, engaging, unique way. The reason that being gay is a boost is that it represents a form of adversity, and the rule of thumb in elite college admissions is that any kind of adversity will help you out, even if only a little. That's why I don't think it's like every other case of "how your genetics and choices have affected your life" -- it's closer to being a challenge, like being low-income (though that probably gives much more of a boost at the top colleges). Another reason it's helpful, though this isn't uniformly significant across colleges: they're always looking to diversify in as many dimensions as they can. Where there's a minority, there's room for improvement (because, no matter what, it will be a problem to reel in enough numbers of any minority to make a significant, palpable difference in the student body--that's why it's a minority). LGBT issues are present everywhere, and so colleges will see sexual orientation as another form of diversity to pursue.

In short, adversity and diversity are the two concrete reasons that LGBT individuals would have a boost, even if small. But how much it helps really depends on how you represent it and how you demonstrate what you take away from it, what it means to your identity, your character, and your life.
  • kimathikimathi Registered User Posts: 620 Member
    I just want to point out that contrary to apparent popular belief, there is no 'homosexual box' to tick in college apps nor any any alluding to ones sexual orientation for that matter. Lol! :)

My take: they want to know what defines you and your actions. The reason behind doing what you do. Your sexual orientation just adds another dimension to the adcoms perception of you. Like your essay, it all depends how you portray this orientation and how much of this portrayal is profound as opposed to cliche and trite! :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.