Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Native Americans in CS

StanfordCSStanfordCS - Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
edited May 2011 in Stanford University
I know CS is a pretty popular major at Stanford, but I want to know how many Native American students have declared CS as their major?

Please give me a ball-park answer, or the exact if you have the data.

Thanks (for a friend)!
Post edited by StanfordCS on

Replies to: Native Americans in CS

• StanfordCSStanfordCS - Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
    Bump......
  • ajimmykidajimmykid Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    you can take a look at this facebook page (Stanford CS Course Advisor) and look at all the names and pictures of people in the past year or two who have declared CS.
    [url=http://www.****/album.php?fbid=145413145565&id=59744530565&aid=124788]Wall Photos | Facebook[/url]

If you can profile Native Americans by name or face, this is probably one of the few ways to get an answer to this question.
  • StanfordIndianStanfordIndian Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Contact the staff at the NACC. Their email addresses are on this page:
    Stanford Native American Cultural Center
    The NACC admissions page lists an alum with a CS degree:
    Stanford Native American Cultural Center
    He's on Facebook if you want to reach him.
  • BayDineBayDine Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    OMG. If your Native friend has any other options, tell her NOT to choose Stanford. Stanford had always been my dream school. Came early for Admit Weekend. Got steered to the hang around the forts who gave glowing reports about Stanford. Then met some rez students and recent alums. They reported Stanford has been a hellhole for Natives for the past decade. Once Natives committed to Stanford the Admissions Office gave their names to the director of the Native center. She harassed numerous students until they left Stanford. Many more only survived by withdrawing from the Native community. A few years ago one committed suicide. All because the director was instructed to weed out Native students the way pre-med classes weed out pre-med students. Now Stanford is attempting a cover-up. The director suddenly retired to Oklahoma in December. But everyone knows she didn't retire voluntarily and everyone knows she wasn't acting on her own. So no one expects any real changes in how Native students are treated. Most of the Natives I met recommend Natives go to the Ivy League or state colleges with strong Native programs rather than Stanford.
  • mahpiyagaglemanimahpiyagaglemani Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey,

I am really glad that you are looking at Stanford. I am a Junior here at Stanford University and am a very involved advocate in the Native American community. I am from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and am majoring in Native American Studies and Health Psychology as well as Pre-Med. Let me for one say that the admissions officers did not give the names of students to the Native director to "weed" them out. Instead, the acting director's job is to retain students and therefore is in need of the names of students to reach out to them if need be. Stanford is currently looking for new leadership for the community. They are very invested in getting student's input on the subject and students will be involved in the entire application process. The previous post about the Director is not entirely accurate and therefore should have nothing to do with your decision. There are many different nations here and it is an amazing place to really find your identity (whether it your Native identity or any other).

But back to your original question, there are around 2 students who officially are CS majors in the Native community. There are around 5-6 other Native students who are getting different majors BUT with an emphasis in CS, so you would have upperclassman to teach you the ropes. Stanford also has the strongest American Indian Science and Engineering Society in all universities and brings alot of CEO's from big companies in which many Native students get internships with. AISES as well as the Native center and community can offer much, much more support than many other elite schools (as we have the strongest Native program in the top schools. Our Native center staff actually get flown out to Ivy schools to help them fix their programs).

Also, Stanford's financial aid package is unlike many other schools. If your parents make less than 60,000 a year, then you automatically get a full ride scholarship. If they make less than 100,000, you get free tuition and your parents pay a portion for room and board. The scholarship is on a sliding scale and depends on every individuals situation (therefore someone who makes 70,000 may get a full ride because they have 5 younger siblings, for example). This is by far one of the best scholarship programs in Ivy leagues and by far better than State schools (many of which only give a couple thousand dollars per student).

Do not let others discourage you or influence you in your decision process. If you visited Stanford and found the campus life and the campus itself amazing, then come here. If you feel it lacks a certain aspect that you are looking for and found it at a different school, then maybe that school is of better choice. Whatever your choice is, you know that Stanford's Native community has your back if you come here and we are happy to have Natives going off to college ANYWHERE. Best of luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.