Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are grades the end all?

WanderlustedWanderlusted Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited March 2011 in Stanford University
I'm worried that my transcript will keep me back from the competitive top schools. I came to a very rigorous New England prep school only having been at a mediocre public school in Texas my whole life, and I have definitely struggled with the grade aspects. I know the grading at my school is much tougher than at the average school, but I'm still just very worried. Freshman year I made straight C's, Sophomore year I made B's and one A, and Junior year I am making all B's. I know I have other things going for me, but have I blown my chances?
Post edited by Wanderlusted on

Replies to: Are grades the end all?

• metemanmeteman - Posts: 832 Member
    Pretty much.
    I had a 3.55 UW gpa and BARELY got into Johns Hopkins (Legacy and athletic recruit).
    Plus I had a super high SAT and my ECs were amazing.
  • ZBBMcFateZBBMcFate Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    If you go to the Stanford Admissions website, you can see what percentage of students were admitted with various GPAs. While I am sure they look most closely at your more recent grades, an overall GPA of < 3.7 are reported as having a 3% acceptance rate. If you have some other way in which you are exceptional (mainly athletics, but other talents as well), Stanford will consider admission of applicants in this range, but you can see the numbers are small.

Applicant Profile : Stanford University
This discussion has been closed.