Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Couple Questions for a Student?

DarkDwarfDarkDwarf Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Stanford University
Hi.

I recently was admitted to Stanford, as well as Penn and numerable other great institutions. I was WL'd at Harvard.

To me, this choice really comes down to those three schools (although I'm waiting for Princeton to mail me). I may or may get off of the Harvard waitlist, but Stanford and Harvard have always been my top two choices and I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find a really good answer to on the internet. I've visited and will be revisiting all three campuses, so here goes.

1. How hard is it to get into San Francisco? How does the bubble mentality affect you?
-> Basically, I always liked that at Harvard, you could get into Boston really easily by the subway and this is one of the major things that I am questionable about for Stanford. I don't know if I am going to like the bubble mentality. I may love it, but I feel like its one of those "you don't know till you've tried" things. I hear that you can bike to the train station and get into SF really easily in about forty five minutes? Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts on the bubble aspect of Stanford.

2. Academic Freedom.
How much academic freedom exists? To elaborate: I'm not sure what I want to do with my life. From what I could tell by checking on Stanford's website, its pretty easy to get a major and a minor and you can double major if you want to take that challenge. But I might want to do something where I study multiple disciplines - science as well as business, for example, even if I have to pick one to extremely concentrate in - basically, I don't know what I'm doing with my life, and I want to know if thats okay at Stanford.
Post edited by DarkDwarf on

Replies to: Couple Questions for a Student?

This discussion has been closed.