Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What does it take to get into Stanford?

celm12celm12 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2013 in Stanford University
Hi. I'm currently a high school freshman, and I was wondering what it took to get into a great school like Stanford. I know that there's no "secret" to getting in, but I was just wondering what type of students were accepted. Thanks!
Post edited by celm12 on

Replies to: What does it take to get into Stanford?

• thelemonisinplaythelemonisinplay Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    To be considered, you'll need a high GPA (3.7 at the lowest) and SAT/ACT/subject test scores (2200+, 33+, and 700+). That's the bare minimum. On top of that, you'll need good EC's, leadership positions, and volunteering/community service. The most important thing is that you write a good college essay. Then, you have recs and interviews.
  • AustroHungarianAustroHungarian Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    "To be considered, you'll need a high GPA (3.7 at the lowest) and SAT/ACT/subject test scores (2200+, 33+, and 700+). That's the bare minimum."

Not true--you will be considered regardless of test scores/GPA.
  • thehaakunthehaakun Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    ^Agree with AustroHungarian.

My SAT was a 2110, ACT was a 30. Subjet Tests were low 700s.
    You can look at the Stanford Class of 2017 Official Decisions thread to get a general idea of what "type" of students are accepted, but the overall student body does seem to be quite diverse.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    What does it take? A familiarity with Stanford Admissions website. Start there

Scroll thru this too
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/stanford-university/1480174-stanford-class-2017-official-decisions-thread-rd.html
  • Data10Data10 Registered User Posts: 2,382 Senior Member
    To be considered, you'll need a high GPA (3.7 at the lowest) and SAT/ACT/subject test scores (2200+, 33+, and 700+). That's the bare minimum. On top of that, you'll need good EC's, leadership positions, and volunteering/community service. The most important thing is that you write a good college essay. Then, you have recs and interviews.
    I disagree. I'm a Stanford alumni and met hardly any of the criteria in your post. I found high school extremely boring, which was reflected in my grades. I had a ~91 average in high school, which was in the top 10-15% of my class. I only got a 500 on my verbal SAT. I was never on a sports team, did not do any volunteering/community work, and averaged about an hour of extra curricular activities per week. Instead I spent most of my free time playing video games.

What stood out on my application was perfect scores on math SAT and achievement tests, my main EC being a math-related competition where I did well, being several years ahead in math, and when I ran out of math classes offered at my high school taking them at a nearby university (a basic school with only ~3 AP classes offered in total). During my senior year, I generally took 1 math class and 1 or 2 humanity or soft science classes I found interesting at the university. An example is a class called. Biopsychology & Behavioral Neuroscience. I also took some science classes at a different university in the summer. My GPA on these classes in colleges was higher than my HS GPA. It also didn't hurt to have a good essay, a portion of which they quoted in my acceptance letter (related to risk taking).

My point is getting into Stanford cannot be easily determined by grades, test scores, or how many common ECs you take. Stanford gets far more students than they could admit with near 4.0GPAs and top SAT scores, and lots of ECs, resulting in the majority of those students being rejected. So it helps tremendously if there is something unique on your application that separates it from the others by making it stand out as unique in a desirable way , such as a skill that hardly anyone applying has or doing something amazing that hardly any other applicants can do. Examples include being exceptional at a sport, winning a competition, doing something amazing with volunteer work that helps a large number of people, starting a successful website or app business, overcoming an extremely difficult background with few opportunities, etc.

A quote from the admissions page of the Stanford website along these lines is below:
    ...Remember, however, that our evaluation of your application goes beyond any numerical formula. There is no minimum GPA or test score; nor is there any specific number of AP or honors courses you must have on your transcript that will secure your admission to Stanford.

We want to see your commitment, dedication and genuine interest in expanding your intellectual horizons; both in what you write about yourself and in what others write on your behalf. We want to see the kind of curiosity and enthusiasm that will allow you to spark a lively discussion in a freshman seminar and continue the conversation at a dinner table. We want to see the energy and depth of commitment you will bring to your endeavors, whether that means in a research lab, while being part of a community organization, during a performance or on an athletic field. We want to see the initiative with which you seek out opportunities that expand your perspective and that will allow you to participate in creating new knowledge.
  • stanford16gradstanford16grad Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Check out this blog: https://blog.ingeniusprep.com/how-to-get-into-stanford/

Basically, you have to do something pretty incredible...
  • googledronegoogledrone Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    I disagree with some of the above link. I do agree with this.

A Former Admissions Officer from Stanford once said, “Stanford prefers lopsided candidates to well-rounded students.” So, if you’re wondering how to get into Stanford, think about what makes you angular or “lopsided” – don’t fall into the trap of being well-rounded.
  • Multiverse7Multiverse7 Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    @data10. When did you graduate from Stanford? Was it recently?
  • sustanford2020sustanford2020 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    ACT: 30 | SAT: 2130 | USH: 720 | BIO: 650

Admitted Regular Decision the past cycle

Don't let these guys scare you off. Do your best on your application and hope for the best, because good things can happen!
  • HoggirlHoggirl Registered User Posts: 1,459 Senior Member
    This is a pretty old thread...
This discussion has been closed.