Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stanford 2018 REA Results ONLY Thread

Replies to: Stanford 2018 REA Results ONLY Thread

• VenezolanoVenezolano Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    [size=+2]Decision: Accepted[/size]

Objective:
    ACT: 35 (36 Reading, 36 English, 34 Science, 32 Math)
    SAT I: 740 CR, 680 M, 640 W (6 essay) = 2060 (froze up on the essay and only wrote 2 paragraphs so that was pretty bad haha)
    SAT II: 800 Biology E, 780 Math II
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    AP (score in parenthesis): Biology (5), World History (5), Calculus AB/BC (5), English Lang (5), US History (5), Psychology (5)

Senior Year Course Load: Georgia Tech Calculus II, Georgia Tech Calculus III, AP Economics (micro & macro), AP Lit, Scientific Internship & Research, Advanced Band, Honors Gov.

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Best in Category and 1st Honors at the 2013 Georgia Science and Engineering Fair, research accepted for publication in the Harvard Journal of Emerging Investigators, National Latin Exam Summa Cum Laude Gold Medal, Honor Band, National Merit Semifinalist, National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar.

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Marching Band (Drum Captain, Center Snare), Varsity Tennis (Co-captain), Lab Research at Emory University's Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Magnet Advisory Board Member, Learning Links Tutor

Job/Work Experience: Unpaid, but worked ~150 hours in a neurology research lab and ~240 hours in a cancer research lab at Emory.

Volunteer/Community service: Earned a Community Service Letter, service trips to Costa Rica and to the Pemon Indian tribes near the Venezuelan Amazon, Leadership Club and Helping Hands Club volunteer.

Summer Activities: Accepted into the Winship Cancer Institute Summer Scholars Research Program at Emory University, went on service trips, UGA Latino Leadership Summer Program, National Student Leadership Conference, marching band camp.

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8. I think my common app essay was very strong, and I think my supplements were very solid as well, especially the letter to a roommate.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
    Teacher Rec #1: (10) I was his top student and he said he wrote me a "glowing" rec.
    Teacher Rec #2: (9) Also said she wrote me a great rec.
    Counselor Rec: (8-9) I think it was pretty good my counselor knows me pretty well.
    Additional Rec: (9) Got a rec from the doctor whose lab I worked in over the summer at Emory. I think it was a pretty good rec he was very impressed with my work and initiative.
    Interview: N/A

Other
    State (if domestic applicant): Georgia
    Country (if international applicant):
    School Type: Magnet Public High School
    Ethnicity: Hispanic
    Income Bracket: 150k+
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM

Reflection
    Strengths: Academic accomplishments and extracurriculars.
    Weaknesses: No big leadership roles, and low SAT score, which doesn't matter for most other schools since I'm just gonna send my ACT, but Stanford required everything from both if you want to submit from both and I wanted to send in my subject tests.

Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think I just had a pretty solid application overall with my scores, academics, extracurriculars, and awards.
    Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted early to UGA. No other decisions yet.

General Comments: I visited Stanford last year and I fell in love the moment I stepped on campus. An absolutely remarkable school on all accounts. Plus the weather is pristine, much better than you'll see at Harvard, Yale, or Princeton haha.
  • kaesthetickaesthetic Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    [size=+2]Decision: Deferred[/size]

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2370 (CR: 800, Writing: 800, Math: 770
    • ACT: n/a
    • SAT II: Bio E: 800, Chem: 780
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.769
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): school doesn't rank
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): Bio: 5, Chem 5, Eng. Lang: 5, APUSH: 4
    • IB (place score in parenthesis):n/a
    • Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP Psych, Choir, ASB/Leadership, Gov/Econ (required to graduate), Calculus
    • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
    National Merit commended, AP Scholar w/ honors
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):FBLA (officer 2 yrs), ASB/ Leadership (4 yr member, senior class president), Leo Club (4 yr officer, School President, District President), Competitive Dance, Marching Band/Colorguard, LINK Crew, Class Council
    • Job/Work Experience: Research Intern @ Carnegie Institute on Stanford Campus
    • Volunteer/Community service: 100+ hrs, president of service learning club
    • Summer Activities: Educational trip, summer intern, homecoming preparations
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): Honestly some of the best writing I've done in my life, CA personal statement was about how I ran three times for class president and how I've grown from the experiences, winning the final time after learning lessons, etc. A lot of people who read it liked it, and IMO it was written uniquely (10); other essays were about summer internship (7), experience on Senior Day of Homecoming (8)
    • Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
    • Teacher Rec #1: teacher had me write own, then edited, probably 8-9/10
    • Teacher Rec #2: he's a bit old, not used to using computers, rather questionable... very positive but very general 6/10
    • Counselor Rec: she's new, but hopefully not too many to do, likes me, 7.5/10
    • Additional Rec:
    Research mentor @ Stanford's Carnegie Institute [*] Interview:[/list]
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): California
    • Country (if international applicant):
    • School Type: Public, Large
    • Ethnicity: Asian
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): my essay probably..
    Reflection
    • Strengths: essay, SAT scores, AP scores
    • Weaknesses: GPA, rec #2
    • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: possibly the letter, sophomore year I got Cs and Bs mixed in with As, but jr year worked to improve a lot and got straight As, they prob want to see that progression continue
    • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected:
    General Comments: does anyone have any advice for what my next steps should be? does stanford like applicants calling to find out the problems with their app to improve for the next round (read it's helpful somewhere)?
    Also, one of my parents works at Stanford as a researcher, what kind of impact does that have/ is it why I was deferred?
  • BenjineeringBenjineering Registered User Posts: 26 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2390 (800 M, 800 R, 790 W, 10 essay) – 2nd sitting
    • ACT: 36 (35 E, 36 M, 36 R, 35 S, 10 essay) – 1st sitting
    • SAT II: 800 Physics, 800 World History, 800 Math 2
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0/4.53 unweighted
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 18/633
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): Chemistry (5), World History (5), Calculus AB (5), Physics B (5), US History (5), English Lang (5)
    • IB (place score in parenthesis): none
    • Senior Year Course Load: AP Economics, AP Government, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, AP English Lit, Japanese 3, Advanced CAD, Physiology, Jazz Band
    • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMSF, AP Scholar w/ Distinction
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Math Club (team president, 2 years); pianist for jazz bands, choirs, theater productions; research project with children’s hospital; Varsity Water Polo (2 years, starting goalie); Varsity Swim (co-captain)
    • Job/Work Experience: teach trumpet, piano; swim lessons/coaching
    • Volunteer/Community service: >600 hrs - church nursery, volunteer in hospital
    • Summer Activities: swim teams, coaching, backpacking
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9 for Common App (about year of travel around the world), 8ish for Stanford supplements (8 for EC – about hospital internship; 9 for “What Matters” – helping people; 8 for “Intellectual Development”; 7.5 for “Roommate”)
      • Teacher Rec #1: 10 – Calc AB & BC teacher, Math Club Coach
      • Teacher Rec #2: didn’t read – AP Lang teacher, English teacher freshman & junior years.
      • Counselor Rec: didn’t read
      • Additional Rec: 8 (principal)
    • Interview: none
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): CA
    • School Type: Public (~3000 students)
    • Ethnicity: White
    • Income Bracket: ~$100K
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Legacy (both parents, 2 aunts, uncle)
    Reflection
    • Strengths: diverse ECs; good test scores; legacy
    • Weaknesses: Didn’t compete for major awards; GPA is injured by taking an extra non-honors class (jazz band) before school; white male (intrinsically un-diverse)
    • Why you think you were accepted: Test scores, legacy, interesting essays
    • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: applying to MIT, Rice, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon
    General Comments: Congrats to all those who were accepted! If financial aid comes through, I’ll see you next fall in Palo Alto! I have been visiting Stanford with my family since I was 2. Still in disbelief that my lifelong dream has become possible.
    For those not accepted, I sympathize with you. You will undoubtedly go on to do great things, even if Stanford doesn't want you.
  • vitruviandudevitruviandude Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    ACT: 33 composite
    35 math
    34 english
    33 science
    30 reading
    31 combined english/writing

SAT 2:
    Chemistry 800
    Math 740

School Rank: 4/577
    GPA: 4.0 Unweighted, 4.300 weighted
    AP courses: 6, plus an additional 5 this year
    Scores: Chem-5, APES-5, Art History-5, English Language-5, Euro-4, Apush-4

ECs: (leadership in parentheses)
    Youth and Government (delegation Communication Director, delegation Campaign Manager)
    Penn Model Congress (President)
    Young Democrats club (vice president)
    California Scholarship Foundation
    JSA/Debate club (vice president)
    Varsity Tennis (11th and 12th grade)
    Junior Varsity Baseball (9th and 10th grade)
    Piano

Teacher Recs:
    One teacher told me I was in the top 3 students she's had in her entire career
    Didn't hear anything from my other teacher, but we have a good relationship

Other:
    CA resident
    did not apply for financial aid
    White

Weakness:
    No hook (not first generation, not ethnic minority, no difficult life circumstances)
  • theweekndxotheweekndxo Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    [size=+2]Decision: Rejected[/size]

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2340 (740 CR, 800 M, 800 W, 9 essay)
    • ACT: 34 (35 R, 35 M, 35 W, 31 S, 10 essay)
    • SAT II: 790 English Literature, 800 Math II, 780 Physics
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/834
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science (5), Calculus BC (5), Calculus BC - AB Subscore Grade (5), United States History (5), Physics C Mechanics (5), Statistics (5), Computer Science A (5), Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism (4), English Language and Composition (5), World History (4)
    • IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    • Senior Year Course Load: English Literature AP, Biology AP, Spanish VI (honors), Human Geography AP, Computer Science III (honors), College Algebra (honors), Government (honors).
    • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Congressional Award for Youth: Silver Medal, National AP Scholar, National Merit Semifinalist, President's Volunteer Service Award: Gold Medal and Silver Medal, some UIL and Science Olympiad medals
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Science Olympiad for four years (President), Math National Honor Society (Vice-President), Underclassman Mentoring Program (Vice-President).
    • Job/Work Experience: Tutor at Kumon for year and a half
    • Volunteer/Community service: Crisis/Suicide Counselor at Hotline (year and a half).
    • Summer Activities: Research intern for clinical study on depression, Texas Governor's School, McCombs Future Executive Academy, Geosciences Exploration Program, Summer Mathematics and Research Training Program (Junior Counselor)
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): 7: Vitality, 7: What Matters to You, 6: Describe an EC, 5: essay to roomate, 8: Common App essay. They were all about music production, songwriting, and the mixtape I'm working on
      • Teacher Rec #1: No clue
      • Teacher Rec #2: no clue
      • Counselor Rec: No clue
      • Additional Rec:
    • Interview: Aight
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): TX
    • Country (if international applicant): USA
    • School Type: Public, huge af, not competitive
    • Ethnicity: Indian
    • Income Bracket: Upper Middle Class
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none
    Reflection
    • Strengths: lol
    • Weaknesses: did nothing special in high school so ec's are severely lacking, super lazy kid only reason I'm doing this is bc i've read these before and they were helpful and i'd feel selfish if i didnt do teh same
    • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: not the kind of kid that teachers / professors would want to teach and that prolly showed in my essays and recs, i'm freaking indian, other people deserve it much more than me
    • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Rejected from Texas A&M, wth
    General Comments:
  • shelbs9510shelbs9510 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown):2190 (750 M, 760 W, 680 CR)
    • ACT:32 (not reported)
    • SAT II:750 US History, 730 Math II
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0 (96.1/100)
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/92
    • AP (place score in parenthesis):5 US History, 5 AP Latin, 4 AP Biology
    • IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    • Senior Year Course Load: AP Chemistry, AP Calculus BC, AP Literature, AP US Government, AP Comparative Government, Capstone Project on Pediatric Obesity
    ASDAN Universities Award, National Merit Semifinalist, AP Scholar
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Competitive Dance (dance captain, won first place for solo in competition), Varsity Cheerleading (co-captain), lots of medical internships at various hospitals around the US, Gap Medics trip to Thailand
    • Job/Work Experience: Dance Teacher, paid intern at Prostate Cancer Foundation, professional dancer (worked at bar and bat mitzvahs)
    • Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer dance teacher at children's camp, volunteered at orphanage in Mexico for summer after junior year
    • Summer Activities: Gap Medics trip to Thailand, volunteer at Mexican orphanage, Wash U Pre-Med Institute, volunteer dance teacher at children's camp, internship at medical center in San Antonio
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9-ish, it was an adversity essay about my mom getting addicted to pain meds and how I dealt with it, had lots of powerful images and a poetic style about it
      • Teacher Rec #1: APUSH teacher who loved me and helped advise me on my capstone project, 9-ish
      • Teacher Rec #2: AP Bio teacher who loved me as well, probably about an 8
      • Counselor Rec: Excellent, my counselor was very focused on helping me get in to promote our school so she wrote very highly about me, 10
      • Additional Rec:
    • Interview:
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): TN
    • School Type: Private
    • Ethnicity: White, Native American
    • Income Bracket: Upper middle class
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):
    URM
    Reflection
    • Strengths: Essay, letters of rec, class rank/GPA
    • Weaknesses: Test scores
    • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I honestly have no idea, I just feel lucky that I was
    Haven't heard back from anywhere else yet
    General Comments:
  • bvbfcnybvbfcny Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Decision: Deferred

Objective:

SAT I (breakdown): 2280 (800 M, 790 WR, 690 CR)
    ACT: 31 Composite (took once no preparation, assume they don't make a big deal of it)
    SAT II: 800 Math II, 790 Physics
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.9, 4.0 weighted
    AP (place score in parenthesis): European History(5), BC Calculus(5), Physics B(5), Computer Science(5), American History(4)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Chemistry, AP Physics C Mechanics (1st semester), AP Physics C E&M (2nd semester), AP Spanish, Advanced Topics in College Mathematics (multivariate calculus and other topics), English elective, History elective
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Distinction, took AMC 10 twice and AMC 12 once.

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Soccer 3 years (Captain senior year), Club Soccer (had offers to play college, not at Stanford though), Physical Training.
    Volunteer/Community service: Taught local latin-americans english, helped coach sports at Boys and Girls Club, spent a week in Nicaragua building a house
    Job/Work Experience: IT and Online marketing intern last summer, nothing special
    Summer activities: soccer camps, this internship^, family vacations.
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Maybe around an 8? All pretty good, not amazing. May not have shown much personality, but they were true to me.
    Teacher Rec #1: didn't read, but I'd guess around an 8.5-9
    Teacher Rec #2: didn't read, but I'd guess around an 8-8.5
    Counselor Rec: Probably 9, knew me well
    Interview: Didn't have one.

Other

State (if domestic applicant): NY
    School Type: Public, 300 students per class, very competitive
    Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket: Don't qualify for financial aid
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Dad got MD and PhD there.

Reflection

Strengths: Coursework, AP scores, strong in math/sciences, commitment to soccer, essays probably showed good character and work ethic.
    Weaknesses: didn't do research, come from very affluent area, may not show much "intellectual vitality" or curiosity, a little bit weak in reading/english, essays may have needed a little more personality
    Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Probably due in part to the aforementioned weaknesses, but it's just super competitive so there's not much else to say.
    Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Didn't apply anywhere else early.

General Comments: Disappointed not to have gotten in, but it's not unexpected by any means. I'm fortunate to be given another look in the regular pool, and I really hope I get in. I feel like Stanford is a perfect fit for me considering my own interests and personality.

sorry if the formatting is incorrect
  • qotsa24qotsa24 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2260 (730 CR, 730 Math, 800 W w/11 essay)
    • ACT: 33
    • SAT II: 780 Math II, 770 Biology (Molecular)
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.95 (weighted 4.5)
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 7 of 790
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): AP European History (5), AP Spanish Language (5), AP English Language (5), AP US History (5), AP Calculus AB (5), AP Biology (4)
    • IB (place score in parenthesis): nada
    • Senior Year Course Load: Calculus III w/ Differential Equations, AP Macroecon, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Chemistry, AP English Lit, Advanced Debate
    State Championships qualifier in debate (Public Forum debate in 2012, 2013 and International Extemporaneous in 2011, 2013), National Tournament Qualifier in Public Forum debate (Top 70 finish, 3rd in district), League Champion in PF, Ranked 35th all-state in speech and debate (last I checked), NASA Inspire member, AP Scholar with distinction, woulda been a National Merit Semifinalist under last year's score criteria, Certificate of Merit Level 10 for Piano
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Piano (classically trained, 10 years), Speech and Debate (Public Forum Debate captain in 2012, current Vice President), Future Voters of America (President), NHS (President), Tennis (JV two years, Varsity two years), NASA Inspire (two years), Science Olympiad (two years)
    • Job/Work Experience: minimum wage last summer (about 3 months), also internship at a local medical practice (100 hours)(shadowed physician, studied charts)
    • Volunteer/Community service: almost 200 hours
    • Summer Activities: everything within reason
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details):
      Extracurricular experience: 6, wrote about internship, sounded like I had a stick up my behind
      Intellectual Vitality: 9, I really liked this one, wrote about the breakdown of my religious beliefs in a time of emotional distress
      Roommate: 5, I had no idea what to write so I ended up just discussing my personal beliefs and interests and how I would pursue them at Stanford
      • Teacher Rec #1: 10, Debate coach/English Teacher, great insight into work ethic and personality
      • Teacher Rec #2: Didn't read (FERPA)
      • Counselor Rec: My school has 3200 students, and my counselor is in charge of about one-fifth of that, so I can't reasonably expect that it was too personal, but at the same time he was high with praise for me (hopefully not all empty)
      • Additional Rec: 7, doctor who allowed me to intern with him, also talked about work ethic, as well as interests in life and how I pursued them as a part of his business
      • Interview: nope
      • State (if domestic applicant): CA
      • School Type: Public
      • Ethnicity: Asian Indian
      • Income Bracket: <100,000
      • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): first generation born in America? otherwise absolutely nothing
        Reflection
        • Strengths:I thought I was a pretty well-rounded student with pretty good academics and extracurriculars
        • Weaknesses:I just wasn't the best in everything sadly, and I was unable to do anything unique. I was going to participate in a medicine abroad program in Mexico, but the country was too violent for my parents to tolerate and I really think that experience would have put me on par with those that were accepted. Volunteer work was probably a bit low, and my essays could have used a lot of personality. I was so afraid that I would lose formality in my essays by putting in too much wit or humor and in the end they were way to structural.
        • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I am not the best. I could have actually studied for the standardized tests (I winged every one and as such could not boost my SAT superscore, and I absolutely hated the ACT)
        this was my only ED
        General Comments: There are B's in high school that were entirely my fault, and I definitely regret them. Aside from these regrets, and worrying what I could have done, I get to look to what I can do. Someday I'll end up at Stanford (my dream as a child) and for those of you who are already in, congrats, and cherish it! Don't think I won't apply again in four years for grad school!
  • astronerdastronerd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2280 (730 M, 750 CR, 800 W)
    • ACT: none
    • SAT II: 800 Bio, 800 US History, 710 Physics
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0 (104.3/100)
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/209
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): 5- Euro, Bio, US History; 4- English Lang
    • IB (place score in parenthesis): none
    • Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc AB, AP US Gov, Economics Honors/College, AP Physics, AP English Lit, AP Spanish, AP Psychology (virtual course)
    A few regional essay contests, National Merit Commended Scholar, National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar, some scholar-athlete awards, AP Scholar with Honor, NYS Senate Youth Leadership Award, and regional science fair awards

Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Council (Pres), Key Club (Treasurer), National Honor Society (Pres), World Language Club (Co-president), Mathletes, Environmental Club/Green Team, National Spanish Honor Society, Varsity Soccer (captain), Varsity Basketball (captain), Varsity Softball, Wellness Committee student rep, Scholarship Committee student rep, SADD, Model Congress, HOBY, and Athletes Helping Athletes.
    • Job/Work Experience: Tutoring high school and middle school students mostly in math and science
    • Volunteer/Community service: Junior volunteer at a local hospital, volunteer at a Doctor's Premier Care, a "Don't Text and Drive" campaign, a school supplies drive for a college in Ghana, teacher at a vacation bible school, donating clothes to kids in the Dominican Republic, and a lot of different activities through Key Club and Student Council
    • Summer Activities: Summer Science Program (SSP), traveling (particularly to CA), volunteering at some of the places mentioned above, soccer, reading, and attempting to relax
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9- My common app one was about being a vegetarian, the vitality one was about my summer program and my love for astrophysics, the roommate one was an attempt at humor and quirkiness, and the "what matters" essay was actually about popcorn
      • Teacher Rec #1: 10- My 11th grade English teacher who writes really personal recs and loved me
      • Teacher Rec #2: My US History and Gov teacher, and although I didn't get to read it, I would probably guess an 8
      • Counselor Rec: 10- She knows me extremely well
      • Additional Rec: none
    • Interview: none
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): NY
    • School Type: Moderately small public
    • Ethnicity: Hispanic
    • Income Bracket: ~150k
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):URM
    Reflection:
    • Strengths: Probably essays, recs, and GPA
    • Weaknesses: no exceptional major awards or achievements
    • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: THE COLLEGE APPLICATION GODS
    • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: no where else yet
    General Comments: STANFORD CLASS OF 2018!!
  • ljfergsljfergs Registered User Posts: 1 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown):N/A
    • ACT: overall 31, reading:34, English:35, Math: 29, Science: 26 writing:8
    • SAT II: didn't take the
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):4.0
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/196
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): APUSH (3) Environmental Science(5) Language+comp(3) Calculus(4)
    • IB (place score in parenthesis):
    • Senior Year Course Load: Student Leadership, AP Gov, AP Chemistry, Spanish V, Painting, AP Lit, AP Stats
    Subjective:
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Body President, Representative to school board, Varsity Soccer Captain junior and senior year, Club soccer, green club, Honor's Society, key club
    • Job/Work Experience: Part time job as busser, and babysit occasionally
    • Volunteer/Community service: over 150 hours
    • Summer Activities:
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details):8, My personal statement was really good, but my supplement could have used some work
    • Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):I didn't read them but I assume they're good
    • Teacher Rec #1:
    • Teacher Rec #2:
    • Counselor Rec: 10 I read this one, it was all about how I sacrifice my time for others, it was really good
    • Additional Rec:
    [*] Interview:[/list] it went ok, but it wasn't amazing and I was nervous
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant):WA
    • School Type: public
    • Ethnicity: white
    • Income Bracket: 90k
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):
    Reflection
    • Strengths: My essay, extracurriculars, and probably teacher recs
    • Weaknesses: my act and AP scores aren't that good
    • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I have no idea, I didn't think I was going to get in
    nowhere yet
    General Comments:
  • ToaZukuToaZuku Registered User Posts: 1 New Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown): 2350 (800/750/800)
    • ACT: 36, 12 writing
    • SAT II: 800 phys, 700something math II
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):3.97 (4.0 past freshman year)
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/545
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): physics B, Chem, clac AB (5s), gov, lang (4s)
    • Senior Year Course Load: Physics C, Newspaper, Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Microeconomics
    • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): lol nope. I guess NMSF
    Subjective: passion for graphic design and photography
    • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Arapahoe Herald Newspaper (very good newspaper, Managing Editor). Link Crew (mentoring club, Commissioner). NHS (president). Speech and Debate (captain). Drama (lead)
    • Job/Work Experience: worked on Colorado logo with governor, also a server at restauant
    • Volunteer/Community service: Citizenship mentor for immigrants, volunteer at museum
    • Summer Activities: did this little research thing at CO School of Mines
    • Essays (rating 1-10, details): (7-8) really proud of these. I talked about specifics in my volunteer position, as well as me passion from graphic design. In my room mate essay, I talked about various honest tendencies I have.
      • Teacher Rec #1: (8) Loved me, very good writer, specific
      • Teacher Rec #2: (6) loves me, president of his club, probably not the best writer though
      • Counselor Rec: (0) counselor was out on maternity leave. Nothing I could do.
      • Additional Rec: (8) knows me very well. Newspaper advisor. Has seen me grow and hold a lot of respect for me.
    • Interview: (9) one of the best interactions I've had with a fellow human being. Connected very well.
    Other
    • State (if domestic applicant): CO
    • School Type: Medium-sized public school, has been on national news a lot recently, unfortunately
    • Ethnicity: Caucasian.
    • Income Bracket: 180,000
    • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Lol, no. Apparently people like me are culturally irrelevant. Too rich to be a charity case but too poor to be a donor. Also, white.
    Reflection
    • Strengths: Things I could control
    • Weaknesses: Things I couldn't control
    • Why you think you were rejected: Sheer numbers. I was great, but not different.
    • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: nowhere yet
    General Comments: Decisions were released same day as the shooting in my school. Everyone was rooting for me, and I let them down in more than one way Friday. When it rains, it pours, fellas. But I am optimistic about my future, and if I can, so can you!
  • jadbowjadbow Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    ToaZuku,

You didn't let anyone down! You have amazing credentials. You were the victim of a random act. Just like the your school was the victim of a random shooting. With your resume, you will do wonderful things in the world.
  • flyinglizardflyinglizard Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Decision: Rejected

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 2190 (750M/750WR/690CR)
    ACT:
    SAT II: 790 Math II, 760 Chem
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):3.8
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn't rank but top decile
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Calc BC (5) Chem(5) Bio(3) Stat(3) Lang+Comp(3)
    IB (place score in parenthesis):
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Environmental, AP Lit, AP Euro, Honors physics
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
    Subjective: passion for math
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):Math research (nothing published just freelance) ,Computer Science, Physics
    Job/Work Experience:
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8 I think I did well on my essays
    Teacher Rec #1: Didn't read but I'm guessing 7-8
    Teacher Rec #2: Didn't read but I'm guessing 7-8
    Counselor Rec: Didn't read but I'm guessing 7-8, my councilor likes me
    Additional Rec:
    Interview:
    Other
    State (if domestic applicant): CA
    Country (if international applicant):
    School Type: Medium-sized public school
    Ethnicity: Indian
    Income Bracket:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Sibling legacy
    Strengths: Passion for math, physics, computer science, and compelling story
    Weaknesses: grades, numbers, few extracurriculars
    Why you think you were rejected: See above
    Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: nowhere yet
  • iflyplanesiflyplanes Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member

Objective:
    • SAT I (breakdown):2120
    • ACT:34 (R 35 M 35 W 35 S 31, Essay 12)
    • SAT II: Math II 670, US History 640
    • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):4.0
    • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):2/370
    • AP (place score in parenthesis): 4,4,4 (Lang,Cal AB, US History)
    • Senior Year Course Load: AP Stats, AP Chem, AP Lit, AP Gov, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Design and Development, Small Business Management and Marketing, French 3
    • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Private Pilot's License, Principal's Scholar, Baden Powell Leadership award (scouts) All-conference, All-state academic
      Subjective:
      • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Tennis (captain) 4 years, 2nd place in state; Eagle Scout, (senior patrol leader, patrol leader, junior assistant scoutmaster), DECA state, FBLA, French Club, Chemistry Club COO
      • Job/Work Experience: Technical Assistant at Pharmaceutical Lab for 1 summer
      • Volunteer/Community service: over 300 hours; fire relief auctions, boy scout projects, soup kitchen
      • Summer Activities:Tennis, Work, Flight Training
      • Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8, talked about my passion for flight, though it was good
        • Teacher Rec #1: really good, said I was one of his best students, creatively and analytically
        • Teacher Rec #2:Not sure, probably the same
        • Counselor Rec:Awesome, told my story really well
        • Additional Rec:
      • Interview:
      Other
      • State (if domestic applicant):CO
      • School Type:Public
      • Ethnicity:White
      • Income Bracket:<200k
      • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):pilot's license?
        Reflection
        • Strengths: Extracurriculars
        • Weaknesses:SATI and II scores
        • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I'm a white male who wants to study engineering. Not "different" enough for Stanford
        Accepted: CU Boulder, Texas A&M, Purdue
        General Comments:Congratulations to all who applied; every single applicant boasts something special and I'm happy to have had at least a good chance to toss my name in.
  • SteelTrapMindsetSteelTrapMindset Registered User Posts: 581 Member
    Not mine, but my friend's:

Objective:

SAT I (breakdown): 2220 800-M, 680-CR, 740-W
    ACT (breakdown): N/A
    SAT II (place score in parentheses): Math II: 800 Physics: 750
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0 (U) 4.4 (W)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 18/554
    AP (place score in parentheses): Statistics (5), Physics (4), Computer Science A (4), Calculus BC (5), U.S. History (4), English Language (5)
    IB (place score in parentheses):
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C, AP Macro/Micro , AP English Literature, Digital Design, Sound & Productions, Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Scholar Finalist, National AP Scholar, Math Department Award, FAMAT Gemini 8th place, FAMAT BC Calculus 19th place

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Robotics Team, Latin Club, Math Team, Science Bowl, Lacrosse, Beta Tutoring, Sound & Productions, President of 4 clubs
    Job/Work Experience: Math tutor and restaurant waiter
    Volunteer/Community Service: Church youth group and Beta honor society tutoring (80 hours in total)
    Summer Activities: Church mission and summer jobs
    Essays: Strong
    Teacher Recommendations: Great
    Counselor Rec: Amazing
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: N/A

Other

State (if domestic applicant): FL
    Country (if international applicant): N/A
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: W
    Income Bracket: > $100,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): N/A

Reflection

Strengths: Grades, test scores, and awards
    Weaknesses: Not a lot of community service or national awards
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Lack of heavy amounts of time commitment to EC's all 4 years, maybe class rank
This discussion has been closed.