Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Stanford Engineering=no life?

jreif97jreif97 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm interested in applying to Stanford because I think it's an all around amazing university, and I am interested in engineering. However, I have heard that people at Stanford who study engineering are overstressed and have no free time to hang out, have a good social life, and go to sports games. I challenge myself intellectually but sports are my life and I am a very social person. Is this a place where I can have amazing academics while be able to have actual time left over to do what I want?

Replies to: Stanford Engineering=no life?

• guccigirlguccigirl Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Stanford is literally the perfect place for someone like you. Very few other schools can offer an environment where the "nerdy" engineers can socialize and party as hard as large state schoolers, unlike engineers at other schools (cough, cough, MIT lol). Engineering students are busy, which is true at any school, but they definitely find the time to socialize and hang out. In short, Stanford is unique in that it has world class academics, world class athletics, and a world class social life ;)
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,646 Forum Champion
  • hebrewhammerhebrewhammer Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    Very few other schools can offer an environment where the "nerdy" engineers can socialize and party as hard as large state schoolers, unlike engineers at other schools (cough, cough, MIT lol).
    To be fair to MIT they're pretty much all engineers and tend to have some pretty raucous parties (attracting Harvard, BU, and other local students).

That said, I agree with the rest of your sentiment - everyone at Stanford is super busy, with most students (both undergrad and grad, across departments) participating in a number of different courses and activities in any given quarter. However, the school's environment is such that it's also easy for students to be social and there are a lot of opportunities to do fun stuff (such as participate in or spectate sports, go on hikes, go up to SF, etc).
  • Chaos3737Chaos3737 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Stanford engineering students definitely have time for fun. It is a demanding curriculum, but very manageable.
This discussion has been closed.