Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stanford Alumni Interview Advice?

Replies to: Stanford Alumni Interview Advice?

• RdtsmithRdtsmith Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    I do know two kids both applying to stanford in the same city in Colorado. One was asked to do the interview. The other wasn't. Will be interesting to see if either gets in.
  • pacnwmomof2pacnwmomof2 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Within certain regions they try to interview everyone. Alum interviewers may contact people at different times. Judging by the fact that several posters here have said that their applications haven't been fully processed yet, I think it may take some time for all of the interviews to be scheduled.

Kids here had them over the course of about six weeks last year. And most importantly, it is of almost no significance! If you are invited to one, go, ask good questions and hopefully you'll learn something new. But try not to get too stressed about it because unless you do something truly horrendous, it's just not going to make a difference. Remember that a majority of applicants do not even have the option of an interview, so it doesn't carry much weight.
  • emmetstaremmetstar Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Just curious how when do people usually hear if they are eligible for an interview?
  • pacnwmomof2pacnwmomof2 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    From the Stanford web page:

For the 2014–15 admission cycle the Office of Undergraduate Admission will operate the optional alumni interview program (based on applicant’s high school location) in the following areas: Chicago, Raleigh-Durham and Washington, D.C. as well as the following states: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming.

Interviews will also be offered internationally in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Luxemburg, Mexico (Mexico City and Nueva León only), the Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. New interview locations will be added over the next several years.

Even if you live in one of those areas, it is possible that you might not get an interview if not enough alumni are available. Interviewers will work on their own schedule, so I don't think anyone can tell you what the timeframe will be.
  • snowboardchick97snowboardchick97 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    @emmetstar‌ I was contacted via email that an interview was available in my area. It was just a couple weeks ago, and I'd submitted my application before December 1st, so I'm thinking it takes a while.
  • 123456789woop123456789woop Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    For those who interviewed, how long was it?
  • FindersKeepersFindersKeepers Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2015
    Hello Stanford admit to the class of 2015 here and scanning through this I wanted to say a few things. Not to put any pressure on anyone but I honestly feel my interview made a positive difference for me. My interview was only supposed to be 30 minutes to an hour but went for 90 minutes. My interviewer and I got along splendidly and just talked to each other. It was a really quality conversation. My advice is to be yourself. Be as honest and authentic as possible, because you want whatever college you go to to want you for you. Be polite and take deep breaths. Good luck to all.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    ^^You were admitted to the class of 2019. :-)

BTW, Do you still like Chinese food after 4-1/2 years?
  • snowboardchick97snowboardchick97 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    @FindersKeepers‌ congratulations on the acceptance!

I'm not sure about my interview :/ I was thirty minutes late because I was at an archery tournament where the scoring turned out badly but we had to stay to the end if we wanted to claim our prize (otherwise it'd be revoked and given to the next best scorer, which is just SO AGGRAVATING.) My interviewer was very understanding about it and we started off talking about archery, but I'm just so sorry that it had to happen that day and I made her waste a whole fifteen minutes waiting my gosh...

Also, I had a lot of questions about the university and all, and she answered them, but the interview itself wasn't the best.
  • 123456789woop123456789woop Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Just had my interview today. It was supposed to be about an hour but went for three and a half hours -- we had a really great conversation about my life and interests, Stanford, and her experiences. It went for crazy long and I didn't even realize it until afterward. Hopefully great interviews can have some impact.
    Interviewer called my son to tell him he had sent an email, so be aware how you answer your cell phone and always answer politely. It may be a Stanford alum!
  • 2562ivy2562ivy Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    S had an interview last week. She was nice and friendly, last about 45 mins. She didn't ask to see his resume unlike Princeton and Yale.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    Is there some reason one can't always answer their cell phone politely?
    We were driving in a car and it was very loud and instead of yelling into phone he answered politely. That's what I meant. Not that he's typically rude.
This discussion has been closed.