Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stanford stuff

nickmehulnickmehul Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
I am interested in Stanford. My GPA is kinda low since I messed up freshmen year. I am sophomore with gpa 3.3. I took the practice SAT and got a 2240. What more should I be doing to secure my chances? I have heard you need leadership but what kind is preferred? All suggestions help!

Replies to: Stanford stuff

• JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    Real leadership is what admissions committees are looking for. They pretty much know what being President of the Ecology Club is.

Stanford is one of the most selective universities. If you took your education to heart, started making straight A's and took the most challenging and competitive classes your school had to offer, there is a small chance you could get into the low end of the zone by application time your junior year. You would also have to find something that you are passionate about and be able to write well about it.
  • Data10Data10 Registered User Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I am interested in Stanford. My GPA is kinda low since I messed up freshmen year. I am sophomore with gpa 3.3
    Stanford recalculates GPA without freshman and has a history of admission decisions consistent with such a recalculation. In short messing up freshman year is not the end of the world, so long as you get excellent grades in sophomore and junior year. Check out Stanford's website for advice about what qualities they are looking for -- http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/index.html
  • stahboystahboy Registered User Posts: 429 Member
    @nickmehul Make sure to pay attention to your essays and EC's!
This discussion has been closed.