Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

19/15 MIT 2005 graduates went to Google/Microsoft. What about Stanford?

wellarwellar Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited April 2006 in Stanford University
MIT (http://web.mit.edu/career/www/infostats/graduation05.pdf) reported the number of their graduates who were hired by Google and Microsoft. I am wondering how many 2005 graduates in Stanford these two companies hired.
Post edited by wellar on

Replies to: 19/15 MIT 2005 graduates went to Google/Microsoft. What about Stanford?

• TetragrammatonTetragrammaton Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    If this is intended to be a barometer of success, I protest. Regardless of who would win.
  • iversioniversion Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    nineteen out of fifteen, eh?
  • ebonytearebonytear Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    hey, Google was founded by Stanford alumni
  • epiphany88epiphany88 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    i thought that was yahoo^
  • JimmyEatWorld711JimmyEatWorld711 Registered User Posts: 2,399 Senior Member
    Maybe Yahoo was too - but Google definitely was. At Admit Weekend, I was at a presentation given by a Stanford alum who worked for Google, and he talked about how the two Google founders were his friends during college.
  • wrathofgod64wrathofgod64 Registered User Posts: 2,217 Senior Member
    yeah yahoo was founded by a Stanford alum. Jerry Yang.
  • ViperViper Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Google was founded by both Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
    Yahoo was founded by both David Filo and Jerry Yang.

Larry Page, the co-founder of Google, received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan; refer to http://www.engin.umich.edu/alumni/engineer/01SS/profiles.html
    Following his graduation from high school in 1991, he headed to Ann Arbor to enter U-M’s College of Engineering. While there, he received a number of leadership awards for his efforts to improve the environment for students within CoE. He also served as president of the U-M chapter of Eta Kappa Nu, the national honor society for electrical and computer engineering students.

Page says his undergraduate experience contained critical components for his future success, especially his involvement with the honor society, a course load that included business classes, and a variety of leadership training experiences.

“I spent a lot of time in Engineering with the organizations in which I was involved, learning about leadership,” Page recalls. “In particular, the ‘LeaderShape’ program was an amazing experience that helped me a lot when we started Google.” (LeaderShape is a University-wide student leader development program that originated in the College of Engineering in 1992.)

There's also an interesting quote in that article about his brother, who also went to the University of Michigan for his undergraduate degree:
    Then there’s his brother, Carl, also a graduate of Michigan, with a BSE in computer engineering (1986) and an MSE (1988). He’s now traveling the world after selling his own Internet company—eGroups.com—to Yahoo! for $400 million.

Sergey Brin, the other co-founder of Google, received his undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland. Refer to http://www.cs.umd.edu/alumni/brin.shtml
    Sergey Brin, Co-founder and President of Technology at Google, Inc., received a Bachelor of Science Degree with honors in mathematics and computer science from the University of Maryland at College Park in 1993.

David Filo, the co-founder of Yahoo, holds more shares in the company than Yang. File received his undergraduate degree from Tulane University. Filo is the more technical of the two; from the founding date, he was granted more shares than Yang in recognition of Filo's greater contributions ( Yahoo's result pages were internally called "Filo Server Pages" before they switched to another technical solution), plus Filo directs the technical operations, and prefers to work in the background, while Yang does the public events stuff. Refer to
    http://www.eng.tulane.edu/news/2004_filo_donation.php:
    Filo, a native of Moss Bluff, Louisiana, was a scholarship student and a Dean's Honor Scholar while at Tulane. He graduated summa cum laude and was named Tulane's "top graduate" of 1988. He was the 1997 recipient of the Harold A. Levey Award for Early Career Achievement from the School of Engineering and was the 2001 recipient of the School of Engineering's Outstanding Alumnus Award. Last year, Filo was elected to the Tulane School of Engineering Hall of Fame. He credits Tulane for much of his success in his relatively short business career.

"That I was able to get into the position to start Yahoo! was in large part due to Tulane," Filo says. "They gave me a scholarship, without which I probably would never have been able to attend. This gift is my way of contributing to higher education in my home state as well as showing my gratitude for the wonderful education I received at Tulane."
  • qemp101qemp101 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Please address original question. The question is: how many Stanford students were hired by Microsoft or Google in 2005? Nothing else. A student will invest his or her four years and about $200,000 for higher education. He or she just wants to know a simple fact and makes his or her decision based on the fact.
  • joemamajoemama Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    Page, Brin, Filo and Yang were all grad students at Stanford, as were the founders of Cisco.
  • wellarwellar Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I hope someone can provide info about employment of Stanford students in EE and CS after graduaton. It really helps to make a decision.
  • someonesomeone Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    talk to the ee/cs depts themselves?
  • ebonytearebonytear Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    I wouldn't be making my decision on statistics that might or might no apply to me.

With that said, you seem like you really want to go to MIT. Go there.
  • joemamajoemama Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    What an odd way to pick a college.

Pick Stanford if it has a few more?
    Pick MIT if Stanford has a few less?
  • sakkysakky - Posts: 14,759 Senior Member
    Page, Brin, Filo and Yang were all grad students at Stanford

Yang was both an undergrad and a grad student at Stanford.
    What an odd way to pick a college.

Pick Stanford if it has a few more?
    Pick MIT if Stanford has a few less?

I agree with joemama that this is an odd way to pick a college.

And besides, even if we were to evaluate schools this way, shouldn't we be talking about the PERCENTAGE of students who go to a particular employer? One school in the world might just have lots of graduates go to a particular employer just because the school produces lots and lots of graduates period.

Then we also have to talk about those students who got job offers from Google or Microsoft and then turned it down for something else. I know quite a few people from MIT who got offers from either company and turned it down for various reasons. Some of them decided that they'd rather work in management consulting, especially for McKinsey. Others decided that they'd rather go to an investment bank like Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley. Still others decided that they'd rather go to graduate school. I know one MIT student who got an offer from Microsoft but decided to stay at MIT to get his PhD. I'm quite sure that this happens to a lot of Stanford students too.
  • vampirovampiro Registered User Posts: 1,753 Senior Member
    hmm...i was wondering people always speak of consulting and banking in one note (that of describing high paying jobs) and i have seen both jobs start up almost same...and in B-school salary surveys too..both pay equally (actually ihave noticed that consulting pays more in surveyes) so can anyone give me any reason why people always say that banking will get you a lot more money than consulting..i mean the facts say something else...
This discussion has been closed.