Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Email of Intent

baroqueboibaroqueboi Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
I plan to email an update to Stanford about some awards I won recently (I applied RD). My college counselor thinks that I should add a sentence saying that I will commit to Stanford if I am accepted because schools are obsessed with yield rates. Do you think this will help, or would it sound desperate and cause more harm than good?

Replies to: Email of Intent

• HYPSPleaseHYPSPlease Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    I think it is a good idea to add the sentence that you will commit to Stanford - if it is true. If it is a maybe because you are also considering other top schools, then I wouldn't add the sentence.

Basically, tell the truth.
  • Top10SquadTop10Squad Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't think it even matters. Stanford publicly states that they don't take interest into account when making decisions. The benefit will be negligible or nonexistent. Don't stress yourself out. I wouldn't include it.
  • baroqueboibaroqueboi Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Ok thank you! Anyone else have an opinion?
  • 676339784676339784 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Stanford's yield is one of the highest at ~80%. It's not a school that cares about yield, at least to the extent that other schools do. In my opinion, adding a sentence would have negligible effect - they wouldn't be able to hold you accountable anyway.
  • Multiverse7Multiverse7 Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    So my personal opinion is if you are an academic superstar who is likely to get into other elite schools, adding the line might make a small difference. Otherwise, it will likely be ignored.
This discussion has been closed.