Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Don't Know What to Feel.. :(

ThekingnigelThekingnigel Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
Both my standardized test scores and GPA are average ( 3.65 with lots of APs// and 26 ACT), but I feel like the other parts of my application are really strong, such as the essays and the interviews. Do you guys honestly think I have a chance at admission into Stanford?

Replies to: Don't Know What to Feel.. :(

  • ThekingnigelThekingnigel Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    interview**
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,599 Senior Member
    Just apply and don't expect anything.
  • garveygarvey Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    I don't think you have much of a chance at Sanford, very honestly, but that doesn't mean you don't still have a bright future ahead of you, or that you won't have many great options for college.
  • ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 327 Member
    unless you are literally from a war-torn country or Antarctica, no. I went there for 3 years straight, was at their 75th percentile, had 2 letters of rec from faculty, 2nd chair in their university orchestra, rejected
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,155 Senior Member
    One article that Stanford sent to alumni said that about 80% of the students who apply are considered academically capable of handling the load, the other 20% are rejected. In choosing from among the 80%, diversity is their primary goal. Note that the acceptance rate at Stanford is extremely low (google just said 4.8%) so among the 80% very few are accepted. Among students with a GPA of 3.5, a very small number are accepted (greater than 0, but not by much).

    With your stats, if you fit in with their diversity goals, or if you play tuba and the tuba player in their marching band is graduating this year (an example from the article from Stanford), then you chances are probably very low (1% to 5% sort of range). Otherwise, your chances are probably quite a bit lower than this.

    Whether you bother to apply is up to you. However, it would be a very long shot.
  • yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    I think your app to Stanford would definitely be a long shot. You can always try, but I wouldn't think acceptance is very likely.
  • harvard_and_berkeleyharvard_and_berkeley Registered User Posts: 1,177 Senior Member
    Let's use some critical thinking... Stanford rejects 19 out of every 20 applicants. According to their website, 86% of applicants have GPA's higher than 3.7 and 75% have ACT scores 30 and higher.

    Your grades/scores puts you below even the average applicant, and very significantly below the successful applicant. Your odds are probably less than 1%, unless you have a significant x-factor (recruited athlete, your parents are very generous and wealthy alums, etc.). Apply if you must, but be realistic.

  • DaveMcBobDaveMcBob Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    One article that Stanford sent to alumni said that about 80% of the students who apply are considered academically capable of handling the load,

    That is a really important point. That also means that students who are used to getting A's and A+'s in HS are now in a group in which there will be lots of people getting (gasp!) B+, B and even B- . That can cause a lot of stress for students.

    So students who are used to getting one B for every 3 A's the get, may find they can do the work, but not get the grades they are used to.

    The huge plus side of that is that they have so much room to grow.
  • gr8pl8gr8pl8 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    It is possible if your essays are out of this world. Your chances will improve if your in the top 0.05% in the SAT or ACT. Transfer after proving yourself at a high level college would be a better alternative but don't bet on it. After going through the college application process for two kids (one 75% other 99%) your best bet is to find a match school and some safety schools.

    Take a look at the accepted student profile on Stanford's web site and be honest with your chances.

    Good luck but happiness is not always about where you get in but what you end up loving to do.
This discussion has been closed.