Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

2018 Stanford Transfer Thread

hailey5799hailey5799 Registered User Posts: 583 Member
Hey, I didn't see any for next year applicants trying to transfer over to Stanford, anyone who applies or has transferred, advice is welcome, very welcome :)

I'm not sure my chances, transferring from a CCC, so advice on what to do to optimize my chances and everyone who goes on this thread's chances, would be really helpful!

Replies to: 2018 Stanford Transfer Thread

• astrophysicistxastrophysicistx Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    Hi! I might try to transfer if Berkeley proves to be hard for me with grade deflation. I'm doing pre med so it's essential to have a high gpa!!!
  • HarleyTheQuinnHarleyTheQuinn Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Hey there! :)) I'm actually having thoughts about applying to Stanford as well. From what I know, their minimum GPA requirement for transfers is a 3.5 (I'm a 3.4 so far, I'm hoping to raise it after spring semester ends). They also require your SAT/ACT scores from high school. Although I emailed them and they said you can retake the SAT and ACT as a transfer student before you apply. I'm tempted to retake it again haha.
  • ShoumeiShoumei Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    I'm also planning on transferring from a Community College! Mine's in Connecticut though so I'm worried that that will shrink my already infinitesimal chances...
  • nick1234567892nick1234567892 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I'm in the same exact boat as you! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with plans to transfer to Stanford aha. The process is so intimidating... Right now I'm just trying to maximize my GPA and take a balanced course load in terms of subjects with of course a focus on my major.

I know that Stanford is really big on the essay portion of the application, more so than other universities. Stellar letters of recommendation and things that allow you to stand out are important as well.

One thing that I got from my research on admission to Stanford in general is that the vast majority of students that transfer there all have one special and unique trait that they have a high mastery in. So focus on really honing your strengths and letting those shine through in your application. I also learned that the admission people spend a great deal of time in evaluating each application thoroughly, which was really refreshing to hear since they get so many per year! Good luck to everyone :)
  • sp1d3rm4nsp1d3rm4n Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    hi all, i'm also trying to transfer. am i at a disadvantage if i'll transferring as a freshmen rather than as a sophomore?
  • nick1234567892nick1234567892 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I would say your best bet is transferring after two years of study at the college you're transferring from. I'm not sure if Stanford even accepts sophomore transfers. Either way, consider focusing yourself for the next two years in order to maximize your chances.
  • GoldenState1GoldenState1 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    You can transfer anytime but wwould imagine having steady success at a college for two years woulde probably help your chances than just one year. Then again it also depends on the rest of your application.
  • AGoodFloridianAGoodFloridian Registered User Posts: 1,363 Senior Member
    I'd also agree with the consensus above, and I speak from experience. Applying to colleges with only a semester and a half under my belt had me at a disadvantage over other applicants who had a longer and more established college record.
  • AGoodFloridianAGoodFloridian Registered User Posts: 1,363 Senior Member
    @mjr2013

Take it from me, this person is a hero <3
    We were on the transfer boat last year together and it was a hell of a ride! Nice seeing you again :)
    edited October 2017
    @mjr2013 Thanks for taking the time to join us! Do you mind sharing some background on yourself in terms of academics and achievements as well as where you fell on the SAT percentile ranks? I’m taking the SAT next Saturday and I’m light weight stressing. Never took it in high school.
    @mjr2013 scratch that. I pulled up your post from last year. How are you liking Stanford? I would be almost as happy if I were to get admitted to CAL but Stanford just seems to check all the boxes fit wise!
  • mjr2013mjr2013 Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    @AGoodFloridian AYYYYYYYEEEE. I didn't see your post. How have you been? It was a fun ride last year. That Vanderbilt Transfer thread nearly killed me before I got the chance to survive to the 2018 school year. LOL
  • ShoumeiShoumei Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    @mjr2013 Thanks so much for helping us out! It’s awesome to hear your story! What’s your major at Stanford? And Has it been easy to integrate into Stanford life even though you’re a transfer?