right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

How to Get Into Stanford....By Someone Who Didn't

2»

Replies to: How to Get Into Stanford....By Someone Who Didn't

• zoekirbymikeyzoekirbymikey 12 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    "if you have high 600s, you'll be okay if you're low-income or a minority (black, hispanic, or an underrepresented Asian like Vietnamese)."

New to this, but I'm curious, where are you getting this that Vietnamese is URM? Would you even mark that down as Asian, or other?
    · Reply · Share
  • kanagawakanagawa 106 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @cuteraspberries thank you so much for posting this. sending you lots of love and good luck--it's all part of the process:) you're going to have an amazing college experience no matter where you end up going. but thank you again for imparting on this little corner of the internet some of the wisdom and knowledge you've gained from this whole journey, your shared perspective is truly a gift.
    · Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5330 replies90 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 25
    My advice is twofold:
    1) spend your years in high school focused on activities, responsibilities and people you find meaningful (as opposed to selecting on the basis of what you think colleges want to see), &
    2) don't get over-invested in any one particular college.

There are hundreds out there. If you didn't consult data from ranking lists you'll probably find 100 that would be a good fit to what you need. Find a college that's a good fit don't make yourself a fit to a college. You'll be in a college for 4 years but you'll be yourself forever. If you mold yourself to a college you're stuck with the outcome.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
  • TexiCalTexiCal 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Does the Stanford SU6 GPA weight AP classes at all? What about honors classes?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14693 replies982 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Maybe Stanford saw you as someone who overthought everything.
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2084 replies38 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 21
    @cuteraspberries I think you come across as an interesting person. Where did you end up getting admitted to and going? By the way, in response to the above poster, I think most elite colleges except for MIT, Harvey Mudd and CalTech are overrated but not as much as some other schools which I am not going to mention. By the way, I always marvel at some kids who are really, really passionate about certain areas during high school, because I wasn't passionate about anything during high school except for skipping school; and having observed and spoken to my kid who graduated from high school, he developed an interest area but I would not say he was really, really passionate about the area. I am hoping that he develops a passion in college or at least a deeper liking for a field of studies in college.

I guess I am more in the camp of: "Develop passion for the area you are in." For example, I developed passion for an area of work I was in so really make it a success, but after I made it a success and got out of the field, I am not that interested in the field anymore. lol
    edited April 21
    · Reply · Share
  • skompella9892skompella9892 145 replies13 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @cuteraspberries Where did you end up committing to?
    · Reply · Share