right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is class rank really important if you go to an ultra competitive high school?

Armin1382Armin1382 0 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
Hello CC,

I just finished my freshman year of high school and just received my overall grades for the year. My school uses a 100 point system instead of a 4 point system.

My GPA for the entire year was a 97/100. Although this would be good at most high schools, I go to an extremely competitive STEM-focused magnet high school in New Jersey. Only 20-30% of applicants get accepted every year from my county. The high school ranks in the Top 5 in New Jersey (US News) and Top 100 in the country (US News).

My school doesn't rank but publishes grade frequencies(ex: 21% of students had a GPA in the range 95-100). So, using the frequencies, my class rank is around 10-15/75, which is only the top 13-20%.

My question is: will my poor class rank hurt me, considering that I go to an extremely competitive high school? Should I stay at this school or go to my hometown high school where I would likely be in the top 2%?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is class rank really important if you go to an ultra competitive high school?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal 5483 replies10 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Colleges will know your high school and will see your performance in that context. You are fine!

· Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper 13941 replies98 postsForum Champion CWRU Forum Champion
    I am not sure if this is the same magnet HS, but one very like it in NJ where my daughter went had the following in their School Profile:

Class Rank
    The majority of our students earn grades that are exemplary. Each year a large percentage of the senior
    class receives Semi-Finalist or Commended Status on the NMSQT. We believe that our students’ levels of
    achievement are not fully communicated by using class rank as a singular transcript statistic. <Magnet High School> and XXX County Vocational School District policy, therefore, precludes
    reporting of class rank.

Stay in that school!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 3948 replies55 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    If the high school does not rank, then the ranking statistics will not factor into US News and such. Therefore, I doubt your "lower" rank will hurt you. GPA is more important, especially coming from a high performing school.
    · Reply · Share