right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chances at Elite Schools

SamiStansSamiStans 8 replies3 threads New Member
So It’s about time I start freaking out if my application is good info. I was wondering if someone could look at my credentials to see if they are good enough to even think about applying to an elite school (USC, John Hopkins, UChicago), and I know these are Farrrr reaches but (Stanford, Columbia):
Credentials:
GPA: 4.1
Grades: Mainly A’s and a few B’s, I got a C in 9th grade English Honors for the first quarter but my high school only shows semesters;)
ACT: 29 in sophomore year, I haven’t taken it in junior year but I’ll update since I’ve actually studied this time.
PSAT 10: 1400
SAT: Haven’t taken it
Extracurricular: Elementary Tutor (it’s a club), Muslim Student Association, Model UN, Speech, UNICEF, and French Club. Also founded a club that helps teach student what to do in a situation where there is excessive blood loss (shooting, stabbing)
Jobs: 8-9 Grade Worked at an amusement park, 10-11 Bookstore,
Language: Somali (native), English, Intermediate French and Arabic, and beginner Korean.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances at Elite Schools

• SamiStansSamiStans 8 replies3 threads New Member
    I forgot to mention I’ve only taken 4 AP classes because I do PSEO (classes at community college).
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1520 replies30 threads Senior Member
    What's your unweighted GPA? In general, I think all of these colleges are a huge reach for you even though you might have a "hook" being the child of two somali refugees. And even if you did get in to an "elite" college, I'm not sure you wouldn't be setting yourself up for extreme challenge in college as you are getting some B's and a C in high school.

I would spend my time looking at match colleges that are affordable. Review the common data sets and class profiles of colleges that are lower ranked than the "elites" to see if your scores are at least in the middle 50% with 75th percentile being solid matches for you.
    · Reply · Share