right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Stanford employee "legacy?"

MajesticAffectMajesticAffect 7 replies2 threads New Member
One of my parents is a former post-doctoral fellow at Stanford. My academic/extracurricular credentials are on-par (maybe above average) compared to other Stanford admits. How much support, if anything, should I expect from this relationship? I understand that legacy usually only applies to students whose parents attended undergrad at the school, but will this help at all?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Stanford employee "legacy?"

• gardenstategalgardenstategal 6168 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Stanford typically affords "legacy" benefits to graduates of any of its schools. The benefit, however, is limited to guaranteeing that your application gets 2 readers. No preference, just protection against one reader in a foul mood.

To get any more of a boost, they would probably need to be a major donor and/or have significant continued involvement with the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1692 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Stanford typically affords "legacy" benefits to graduates of any of its schools.

I suspect a post-doc wouldn’t be considered a graduate. More of an employee, as noted. I don’t thing children of employees are generally considered ‘legacy’.
    · Reply · Share
  • MajesticAffectMajesticAffect 7 replies2 threads New Member
    RichInPitt, would it help my application at all or do nothing?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35138 replies398 threads Senior Member
    Not sure how you think you'd fit it in. It would show a past temporary connection. For anything else, tip-wise, it would be up to you, personally, to prove out your own desirability and match.

It's not hard to find that S considers legacy, "at least one parent or stepparent received an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from Stanford.” That's the sort of digging you need to be able to do, about various points that matter to them, when they're choosing a class.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 2042 replies73 threads Senior Member
    A post-doctoral fellow is neither an employee nor a legacy booster. Even if they're, it's virtually meaningless in terms of carrying any weight. Forget about this past connection and rely more on your own weight.
    · Reply · Share