right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Stanford 2025 REA

dotcom345dotcom345 3 replies1 threads New Member
edited May 11 in Stanford University
Felt annoying to be starting this so early but last year's was started earlier, plus it's not like we have anything else to do during quarantine lmao
edited May 11
12 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Stanford 2025 REA

• ArhaanArhaan 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Hi...not really sure what this is for but since I am planning to apply REA to Stanford this year, thought I would make my mark. Does anybody mind telling me their profile
    · Reply · Share
  • ryan0123456ryan0123456 15 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Hey guys! Please chance me if I have a shot at Stanford REA for class of 2025
    Background info:
    - white male
    - competitive high school (i think around 5 into stanford this year)
    - NY state

GPA: 3.89
    SAT: 1550 (750 reading + 800 math)
    SATII: 800 math I + 780 biology

Extracurricular:
    - molecular biology research internship in the city (research will be published before applications are due)
    - violinist >10 years (will submit a supplement) (volunteered accompanist for a music summer camp for multiple years)
    - >500 medical related volunteer hours
    - HOSA (leadership position)
    - Operation Smiles (leadership position)
    - self-employed tutor
    - founded a literacy program for underprivileged kids at library
    - Columbia Science Honors Program
    - school choir
    - research club at school
    - Volunteered at the US Open in medical tents
    - took a literacy summer program at Columbia
    - scholastic regional awards

Awards:
    - ISEF finalist (probably will win a couple more research awards) (only kid in grade that has been isef finalist)
    - HOSA top 10 internationally (i have state awards from HOSA as well and received an awards for having >250 related medical hours)
    - several music competitions mostly 1st and 2nd prize

Notes:
    - im gonna center my application around my creativity (through cancer research, music, and writing)

Let me know what yall think. Stanford has been my dream for a couple years now, but I don't know if I have a shot.
    · Reply · Share
  • dancer128dancer128 51 replies4 threads Junior Member
    So you all have already decided to REA to Stanford? I have my top 3 that I want to REA to but I'm narrowing it down as I do more research on the colleges
    · Reply · Share
    I too am double minded between 2 colleges namely Stanford and Princeton. I will decide closer to the deadline. Which 3 colleges are you thinking about @dancer128 ??
    · Reply · Share
  • emiliaduongemiliaduong 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Wow you make me scared of applying to Stanford. I'm applying and I'm nowhere near as good .....
    · Reply · Share
  • aliwu14aliwu14 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Does anyone know about the social culture at Stanford? I was looking at the virtual tour they uploaded and the campus looked so spread out and lonely. I know that sounds ridiculous to care about but is it hard to make friends and see people on campus?
    · Reply · Share
  • dancer128dancer128 51 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @aliwu14 I have some friends that go to Stanford and they love it! They say that it's easy to find a community because there are so many options and different housing that let you do that. Like there's all frosh dorms but there's also cultural houses and other things like that. Ik stanford's campus is hugeee tho so I get where you're coming from, but I think having a bike would make it easier to get around/visit people
    · Reply · Share
  • young0509young0509 15 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hi y'all! I've basically decided on applying to Stanford REA since I couldn't visit any other campuses to decide if I want to ED elsewhere. I personally like their model of rejecting a majority of REAs instead of deferring because it keeps unrealistic hope out of the equation. A couple of my friends got into Stanford and LOVE IT for just how diverse the student body is--racially, geographically, intellectually, etc. Plus, Californian weather is just IT.
    Since we're all quarantined, I think it'd be a fantastic idea to start thinking about your common app essay/Stanford supplements. Please don't stress out about chance me's and stats/ECs -- from what I've seen, Stanford looks for passion more so than demonstrable experiences, even though those might help a bit :) Just be a wonderful person on the application and in real life and work on things you can control.
    Best of luck everyone <3
    · Reply · Share
  • ziggyelrey12ziggyelrey12 3 replies0 threads New Member
    if I apply REA to Stanford, can I apply early decision II to other universities?
    · Reply · Share
  • gamergirl91gamergirl91 15 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited May 11
    Would appreciate it if you guys could chance me... Stanford is definitely a reach but it's a dream school of mine! I would love to for Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

I go to an international school in Korea. No American citizenship. Class size around 100, but kids are insanely competitive.

Standardized Testing:
    SAT 1: (not superscored; took it once) 1570 (770/800) and 22 for Essay.
    SAT Subject: Math2 800, USH 800, expecting at least 750 for Bio E
    AP: USH (5), taking Lang (expecting 5), Seminar (expecting 4), Biology (expecting 4 or 5)

GPA: unweighted 97.935/100 (Ranks aren't out yet, but I'm predicting that I'm around the top 20%.) No weighted GPAs at my school.
    Two seniors who I heard (just rumors though!) were not in the top 10% got into Stanford this year. Same goes for Columbia. They had outstanding EC's, and I'm not sure if mine are at their level.

Coursework: AP policy at my school mandates that no freshmen can take APs. We are allowed to take 1 in 10th grade, 4 in 11th, and 5-6 in 12th.
    Taking 5 APs senior year (Research, CompSci A, Psychology, Calc AB, Literature. Junior Year: AP Bio, AP Seminar, AP Lang. Sophomore year: AP USH.

Awards:
    EARCOS Global Citizen Award (Given to one junior at each school that's part of a large number of East Asian international schools. The recipient is chosen by staff and administration based on the student's attitude, work ethic, and academic standing. Comes along with the opportunity to apply for a $500 grant to use for charity projects.)

NHD Korea 1st place in Documentary (competing in nationals online this month; fingers crossed that I place.) Discussed the Korean comfort women.

Canada Embassy 150 Creative Writing Competition - Maple Leaf Award (A competition hosted by the Canadian embassy in Korea in celebration of their 150th anniversary)

Korea International Youth Olympiad (Creativity Olympiad) - Silver medal (STEM/innovation competition; it was a new competition and not very competitive but was sponsored by a few Korean companies. A lot of students from the Middle East to compete.)

Korean National Business Competition - Best speaker (Business competition sponsored by Naver, a big Korean company, and Maeil Business Newspaper; my team didn't place, but I got the individual award)

A bunch of regional awards for Speech (Prose and Dramatic Interpretation) in varsity Forensics

The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards - Certificate of Achievement (A Korean-government issued certificate a few peers and I got for helping with the organization of a music concert for blind children.)

School activities:
    Managing Editor for Yearbook (junior and senior year)
    Founder of Creativity Club for Young Innovators (president during my junior year, senior advisor senior year)
    EIC of Kaleidoscope Magazine (school literary magazine) (was a copy editor during junior year, advanced to EIC for senior year)
    VP of Film Club
    VP of Global Issues Network (GIN) Club (was the publicity director my jr. yr, advanced to VP for senior year)
    Varsity Cheerleading (did it during junior year, probably will get in senior year)
    Lead in Game of Tiaras (school production) (sophomore year)
    Technical Director for You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown (school mini production)(sophomore year)
    Costume director for Little Shop of Horrors (school production) - Costume director (junior year)
    Hoping to get the lead in the upcoming play (The Nutcracker) during my senior year. Chances are decent.

Extra-curriculars:
    Leader for English Translation Team for a book published by War and Women’s Human Rights Museum in Seoul (a museum dedicated to the Korean comfort women)
    Docent Museum of War and Women’s Rights (volunteered around 20 hours a week during the summer after my sophomore year, will be volunteering this summer too)
    Volunteered at Ask Listen Understand All together (ALUA) (the organization that helps blind children perform at concerts that I mentioned earlier)

Recs:
    I can say that I have a pretty strong rec coming from my AP USH/Seminar teacher who has visited the museum I work at. I'm not sure how strong my Precalc teacher's rec will be, but he thinks I'm hard-working. I'm also getting a recommendation from my principal, who I'm guessing was a big factor as to why I got the EARCOS award over other students in my grade.

My "Spike":
    I basically want to revolve my essay around the work I did for the comfort women topic (an unresolved issue regarding Korean sex slaves for the Japanese Imperial Army during WW2). The book translation, docent work, NHD documentary—they all connect to it. Additionally, it's an issue that is relevant to modern sexism and "relatable" to me as I am a woman living in Korea, an infamously sexist society.
    edited May 11
    · Reply · Share
  • sigmapibondssigmapibonds 11 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey everyone!!
    I know that we're all stressed about applying to college right now, so I just wanted to point you to a discord server with a really supportive community. It's a great place to hang out, relax, and get your questions answered about applying to college!

https://discord.com/invite/9ExBzKZ

Just a disclaimer: This discord is for seniors, so we ask that no one older than a college student should join.
    · Reply · Share