Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

stanford vs ivy league

Replies to: stanford vs ivy league

• urkiddingurkidding Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    US News ranking are cooked.
    databook you missing Chicago and Berkeley here. Stanford must not be doing well as against berkeley and Chicago that is why you are ingoring them. Why do you bring IVY in discussion here since they are only for rich kids from Northeast. America heartland is midwest from Ohio to Nebraska. Here in the Red States Bob Jones has more prestige than any of the liberal schools from Coastal areas. Midwest represents true values of America, Now we have Judge Roberts from University Texas going to supreme court. Compare that with first Job sandra O got offered coimg out of Stanford Law school as Office assistant. Never any of the Chicago Law graduate was treated such lowly in any mid west law firms. We have traditions, Values, jesus, Gerald Ford and Milton friedman. What do you have from Coasts: Rob kennedy, Larry Summers, Arnold "touchy" terminator, Jerry Brown and Bill Gates a Stanford reject i guess.
  • datalookdatalook Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    at least the graduate school rankings are based on surveys on academic peers in the same area, definitely much much objective than the random, abitrary ranking from you (urkidding).
  • staticsoliloquystaticsoliloquy Registered User Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    I had baba kicked out by the administrator. Urkidding, this is your last warning, if you don't provide any substantial fact to your ridiculous post, I will do my best to have you kick out too.

If it is Baba, I must say, this is depressing. Making a new sn so you can continue your immature bashing of the school that rejected you. Move on
    "In spie of bad location South Chicago it attracts some Noble type faculty. For theoratical research in Finance is as good as Wharton. I would rank Chicago number 1."

first off, it's the Nobel Prize.
    granted, UofChicago has won the most Nobel Prize through association or through its faculty. Urkidding, why don't you give us the number of professors elected to be members of National Academy of Science and that of Engineering, as well as National Medal of Science winners for Chicago.

In terms of Nobel Prize won by faculty, Chicago has 15 (4 in physics, 1 in chemistry, and 8 in Economic Sciences). Stanford has 16 (10 in physics, 3 in chemistry, 1 in Medicine, and 2 in Economic Sciences). I would say Stanford is the more well rounded school that excel in all fields.

source: http://nobelprize.org/search/universities.html

But you know what, this thread isn't concern with UofChicago. It's Stanford vs the Ivy League.
  • bloggedblogged Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    ok bak to my question. so stanford most agree is on par with ivy leagues rite?

i live in the middle east. the weird thing is quite a few ppl get accepted from here. i mean every great student i ask is going to stanford.

i know a guy who took the SAT I (old) three times and managed to get a 1480 and got into stanford. of-course i know many other factors are involved, but i think his ECs were decent but not GREAT. anyways so i heard stanford places great emphasis on essays.
  • filmxoxo17filmxoxo17 Registered User Posts: 2,625 Senior Member
    stanford is good. ivys are good. get over it, everyone.
  • ForeverZeroForeverZero Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    Well, if every "great student" is going to Stanford, doesn't that answer your question? And btw, a 1480 is not a bad score. Stanford doesn't place as much emphasis on numbers as some other top schools. They require many essays because they want to accept exceptional people who have admirable personal qualities, not 4.0/1600 robots. It shows, too; Stanford's student body is the most diverse and well-rounded one that I have seen so far.
    I am in process of compiling data for Berkeley and Chicago and will be happy share with you. I have seen some posting on Berkeley CC where it shows to it be superior than IVY. Be back with more precise information.
  • imacrazyscientistimacrazyscientist Registered User Posts: 1,016 Member
    Stanford kicks Harvards a** in the science department!
    Blogged: You should not compare stanford University with IVY University becuase they are very different.
    Stanford VS IVY
    Young VS Old
    Next GEN VS Old GEN
    Internet vs ATT
    West VS East
    Warm VS cold
    40.3% CA vs 40% Northeast
    Tech vs NON tech
    Spanish Buildings vs Gothic English
    Country Club VS City life style

If you like CA go to Berkeley, Stanford or Cal Tech. If you like east Coast then IVY will do. But they are not peer schools becuase of being regional in nature.
  • ForeverZeroForeverZero Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    You think that the Ivies aren't like country-clubs? Not all of them are in cities, either.
  • irock1ceirock1ce Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    Stanford easily matches up academically to HYP but in reality, the ivies and Stanford are completely opposite from each other in terms of their location, history, style, environment and everything else you can think of.

Of course, there is also another school the bay that is quite similar to Stanford academically: Berkeley.

Static: you are really quick to defend your school. You should backoff a little and realize that is just a forum and people will have their own opinions (whether it is supported by facts or not)
    Noble data

Harvard 25
    Columnia 14
    Priceton 11
    Berkeley/UC 30
    stanford 15
    Cal tech 14
    Chicago 14
    MIT 11
    Rockefeller 11

They look