Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How competitive within the classroom is Stanford?

3lite3lite Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Stanford University
Hi all,

I was wondering if I can get some opinions about the difficulty of the biology major (or relative fields) at Stanford. What is the environment like? Is it like a cutthroat environment where everyone competes for an 'A', or does it have a more laid back atmosphere? I heard it was more laid back like Duke compared to the ivies.

Generally, is biology one of the tougher majors at Princeton? How doable is a 3.7+ at Stanford as a molecular biology major?

How competitive is it within the classroom? In your opinion, what do you think of the course breadth and difficulty in the classroom?
Post edited by 3lite on

Replies to: How competitive within the classroom is Stanford?

• GeekNerdGeekNerd Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    It's laid back. Grade-based conversations are more taboo than jokes about cutting up babies. Given how common the latter are, I'd say a lot more taboo.

My Academic Director joked that doing engineering pre-meds and pre-laws get relegated to engineering grad school because great techie classes on your transcript don't come with great grades. But it was a joke. At the end of the quarter my friends in math/science classes claim to get good grades without trying much. Except that [strike]duck[/strike] swan syndrome may be very alive. Science != Eng

And it seems that once you get over the ridiculous curves on the Bio/Chem core (they're sieves), the classes pipe down to the level of the rest of the school.
  • LobzzLobzz Registered User Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    But still, one needs to realize that, in class, one will be among a large group of students who were top 1-10% of their high school classes. It's bound to be somewhat competitive by virtue of the caliber of students.
This discussion has been closed.