Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

stanford and top ten

itsfuekoo22itsfuekoo22 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Stanford University
if im not top ten (im number 12) but i have a perfect 4.0 unweighted gpa (4.8 weighted) do i still have a chance to get into stanford?

i know there are a lot of other things they look at, but all of the people who got into stanford at my school were top ten
Post edited by itsfuekoo22 on

Replies to: stanford and top ten

• x.sunnyx.sunny Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    You definitely still have a chance. It also depends on how big your class is. Your EC's and SAT score are crucial to your application too.
  • firehosefirehose Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    I was 13th in my class when I was admitted, so you definitely have a chance.
  • itsfuekoo22itsfuekoo22 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    firehose what were your sat scores and example of ECs that you did in hs?
  • firehosefirehose Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    Never took the SAT, took the ACT and got a 35. For the SAT subject tests I got and 800 on both physics and math II. My biggest ECs were in boy scouts. I was an eagle scout, and was the "president" (it has a couple of different names depending on what part of the program you are talking about but you get it) of a number of pretty sizable groups within the boy scouts. I also did sports and some other miscellaneous clubs.

As for info about my high school, it was a pretty competitive public high school but nothing ridiculous. I was the only one from my class who got into HYPSM, although there were a significant number of people going to other ivy league schools and other quality institutions. Finally, since I know you are wondering it but your too kind to ask: I am white.
  • LobzzLobzz Registered User Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    You don't HAVE to be in the top 10, but rather in the top 10 percent. Also, not being in the top 10% doesn't preclude the possibility of admission; there's a lot more to it than rank.
  • NJDSNJDS Registered User Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    obviously there is no definite line of guaranteed admission or rejection.
    simply said, the closer to the top, the better, and the closer to the bottom, the worse.

rank means nothing without context. they have admitted students who are 20/500 and also students who are 20/40, the first example being relatively competitive public high schools and the second being elite private schools. (just examples, not exact).

you can be 7/600 at a relatively uncompetitive (or underserved) high school, but it could mean less than being 30/200 at a mediocre high school.
    most of the elite universities take into consideration:
    1. rank
    2. percentile
    3. class size
    4. high school demographics & economic background
    5. geographical location
    and many other factors that all play a role

simply said, ranking in top 10 is not an accurate indicator of very much without context.
This discussion has been closed.