Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is a 2290 good enough for an Asian female?

Quick93Quick93 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Stanford University
Hi,

I took the SAT and got a 2290. I know that's pretty high compared to the nation's average score, but is it good enough for an Asian female to get into Stanford? Here are the scores I got for each section:

Critical Reading - 800
Math - 760
Writing - 730

And yeah, I have strong EC's (like piano, tennis, violin, chess, etc.), but I'm not AMAZING at any sport.

Thanks!
Post edited by Quick93 on

Replies to: Is a 2290 good enough for an Asian female?

• EngineerjwEngineerjw Registered User Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    In my opinion, it's good enough. On the other hand your extracurriculars seem very typical. The more important thing would be to stand out.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    "good enough" is not an applicable phrase in admissions. Higher scores yield higher chances; no specific score is required. Moreover, your score is not evaluated in the context of your race as your post suggests. It is, however, true that Asians may be at a slight disadvantage in admissions.

From what you posted, it seems as though you have a solid chance.
  • bellatrixiebellatrixie Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I had a 2290 and couldn't play a sport for the life of me, yet I was accepted :)
  • NJDSNJDS Registered User Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    your scores are strong enough to not retake if you don't want to, in my opinion. your math is above average, reading is...outstanding, and your writing is about average for stanford admits.

if you think you can improve your writing while relatively maintaining your math and reading, it wouldn't hurt to retake. it's never "not worth" a retake unless you think you will do worse.
This discussion has been closed.