Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Disregard Affirmative Action, Accepted with 1840 SAT/Asian

EmnmEmnm Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited July 2010 in Stanford University
I didn't have the best stats. I am neither a legacy nor an athlete. I just wanted to let you guys know that hyper selected schools like these will give you a chance. You should not give up hope because you failed to score that high SAT score or get a B in a class. Do your best and show who you are through your essays/application and I am sure they'll give you a shot.

Here are my stats. I know I have more extra ECs under my belt and other things that I wrote in my common application, but this is what I wanted to show without disclosing too much information. This is all I could recall from the top of my head from my senior year:

School: Public in Southern CA
GPA: 4.00 UW
Class Rank: 4/~500
Ethnicity: Asian American

SAT I: 1840 (600 writing, 620 math, 620 critical reading)

SAT II: English Literature – 600
US History – 740
Math II - 720

AP Courses that I have taken:
9th Grade: Human Geography – 4
10th Grade: World History – 5
Chemistry – 4
11th Grade: US History – 5
Psychology – 5
Art History – 5
Physics B – 4
English Language – 4
12th Grade:US Government – 5
Biology - 5
English Literature - 4

College Credit Classes taken at Community College:
Intro to Poli Sci. – A
Poli Sci 2 – A
Calculus I – A
Calculus II– B

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
=California Scholarship Federation 11th, 12th
- 2008-09 Tutoring Officer
- Life Membership Recipient
- 50 hours of tutoring/community service
- 3 hours/week even during season for sports (wrestling, track)

=KEY CLUB 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
-Over 100 Hours of Community Service

=Academic League - 12th

=Science Olympiad - 11th, 12th

WORK EXPERIENCE:
=Summer School Assistant
- Chemistry Lab Assistant June 2007- July 2008
- Music Assistant – June – July 2008
- Office Aide – June – July 2007
- Ceramics Assistant – June-July 2007
- 8 hours/week

DISTINCTIONS/HONORS:
- 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 – Principal’s Honor Roll
-2008 Student Poll Community Service Award
-2008 Questbridge College-Prep Scholarship
-2008-09 Questbridge Scholarship Finalist
-2009 Top 5% of Class
Post edited by Emnm on

Replies to: Disregard Affirmative Action, Accepted with 1840 SAT/Asian

• silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    While everyone has a chance, it is important to qualify your situation as highly exceptional.
  • trf1021trf1021 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    Did you get your AP scores for this year already or is what you wrote just what you think you'll get?
  • zenkoanzenkoan Registered User Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    ^Emnm, with respect to the title of your thread, Stanford and other top schools do practice affirmative action with respect to low-income students; it's not just a racial thing. I see that you were a Questbridge Finalist, for example; that is one factor among many taken into account in admissions, and part of the context in which things like test scores are viewed.
  • GoldenCoastGoldenCoast Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Did you get your AP scores for this year already or is what you wrote just what you think you'll get?

I'm guessing he's a current Stanford student, as he said:
    This is all I could recall from the top of my head from my senior year
  • EmnmEmnm Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, I am a current student at Stanford.
    My socioeconomic status probably did play a part in the selection process, but I strongly felt that the essay was what I felt the most important part of the selection process.
  • cst11cst11 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    If you don't mind, may I ask what your essay was about?
    Thank you for the thread by the way. It was very inspiring :D
  • JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
    I would love to see your essay too. This is very interesting and gives hope to me, an Asian.
  • Rtgrove123Rtgrove123 Registered User Posts: 1,798 Senior Member
    Being a QB kid was what helped you get in. Honestly, essays are fine and dandy. However, they can't ressurect the dead.
  • ripemangoripemango Registered User Posts: 957 Member
    ^ I agree. There are alway these threads about success stories in college admissions, but there is always a catch as well. You can't ignore the fact that without a hook, you test scores and affirmative action will play a big part in admissions.
    I guess I probably should change the title of this thread. I come to CC and see people using their ethnicity, SAT scores, or anything else as disqualifies. That really should not be the case and I honestly feel that it is a very minuscule part of the decision process.

Yes, I agree that QB did play a vital role in my application process but I feel it wasn't the only thing. I guess I had that hook, but good stats do not differentiate you from the many numbers of people with the same or better score.

Nonetheless, I can't say anything for sure. I am not an admissions officer so I could only speculate what they were looking for when they saw my application.

For anyone curious, I am a 2013 undergraduate. This means that I am going to be a sophomore in the following fall quarter.

And yes, I did get into UC schools: UCI, UCSD, UCLA, and UCB

As much as I would like to post my essays, I'd rather not disclose them publicly.
    My friend, a current Stanford student, got a 1970 and his family income is about 80k a year. He's also Asian. He only took 3 APs: Bio, Calc BC, and World History.
  • ForeverMineForeverMine Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Did your friend have any other "hooks"? He sounds pretty unremarkable.
  • copyxmkiicopyxmkii - Posts: 210 Junior Member
    You can't really say he is unremarkable unless you know him.
    Maybe he designed a nuclear reactor or something. I wouldn't
    call that unremarkable.
  • hotjava64hotjava64 Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    I think you guys are jumping the gun in your characterization of Emnm as “a QuestBridge kid”. For example, his 11 4’s and 5’s on 11 APs are a powerful validation of his academic ability, even if his SAT’s aren’t. With the right approach and careful preparation, the SAT is a test that can be gamed. Not so with an AP—you need to know the material. I don’t consider my own high SAT scores as irrefutable evidence of my intelligence. Personally, I respect a high GPA much more because it shows not only intelligence, but the willingness to work hard, a trait that is highly correlated to college success, and a trait that Emnm possesses in large amounts. For example, I happen to know that Emnm set and accomplished some incredible personal goals during high school – things that could only come across in an essay, which, by the way, Stanford places a HUGE emphasis on, both from first-hand knowledge (talking to my admissions counselor) and Stanford’s own Common Data Set. I just don’t think it’s correct to say that Questbridge was necessarily a game-changer in is application. If, for example, he hadn’t known about Questbridge, and therefore had not applied, would he be a different person? No. I think that the qualities that allowed him to become a Questbridge finalist are the same ones that got him admission to a top 10 school.
    Note: Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that Stanford was need-blind, as in they didn’t look at your economic info until after your acceptance. Can anyone confirm this?
This discussion has been closed.