Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Out of state v. Instate?!!

hr81096hr81096 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I'm an Arizona resident choosin between Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles or University of Arizona in Tucson. I have a scholarship to UofA where tuition would be around 13k a year and I have a scholarship to LMU where tuition would be around 54k per year. Obviously that is a big difference although my dad says he can make it work. I'm just unsure whether I should save money now so I can ensure my parents can afford grad school or if the experiences I will face in LA be worth the money. Most of my family thinks I'd be dumb to not go for it and go to LMU, but I just want to make sure I'm choosing the best decision! Please help with any advice or tips! Thanks!

Replies to: Out of state v. Instate?!!

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,262 Senior Member
    Your family members who think you are dumb aren't paying the $54K/year, right? So don't listen to them. If your dad can easily afford LMU, then that would be fine. If it will be a stretch for your family, then think hard about the in-state option. What do you intend to study?
  • hr81096hr81096 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @intparent I'm not 100% sure yet. I was thinking something to do with film or medicine, so completely different majors. That also makes it a more difficult decision because LMU is more known for film and UofA is great for pre-med.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,262 Senior Member
    Med school is really expensive. I'd go with the less expensive in-state option.
  • TaylinTaylin Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Why go with the more expensive when youll get the same diploma etc.
This discussion has been closed.