Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

IU Kelley Direct Admit, 4.0GPA, 1800 SAT, 33 ACT-Out of State=Out of Reach

Belle11296Belle11296 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I'm so sad that my son is going to have to give up his dream of attending IU Kelley School of Business simply because we live an hour south of the Indiana border and this will cost us $25,000 more per year to attend than an in-state student. What hurts even more is that he did receive the Dean's Scholarship (11,000/year) along with some other aid including grants and student loans. He has contacted both the Kelley school and Financial Aid. He was invited to join the Honors College, but it was after the full-ride scholarship deadline, so that was never an option. Both say there is nothing more they can do for him. How he didn't get any more scholarships from Kelley is beyond me. He applied early last fall and accepted fairly quickly after that.

I'm so thankful for the money he was offered and it would be enough to cover the entire cost of college if he was an Indiana Resident. My son has a perfect 4.0. Has never received lower than a "A." His test scores are excellent and he is a well-rounded great kid. Very sad that we will have to turn IU down even though it pains us to do so. He will attend a local state university at no-cost. Just very frustrated at the whole process right now.

Replies to: IU Kelley Direct Admit, 4.0GPA, 1800 SAT, 33 ACT-Out of State=Out of Reach

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,560 Senior Member
    Isn't there an intermediate institution between "local university" and IU Kelley?

The issue is this "He was invited to join the Honors College, but it was after the full-ride scholarship deadline" - weren't you supposed to apply by the deadline? Have you contacted the Dean of the Honors College to see if there's some leeway?
  • Belle11296Belle11296 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    There is not an intermediate institution with the caliber of program between our local university and Kelley. We are only 3.5 hours south of Bloomington. We did apply to IU by the deadline. He was accepted late Fall. When he was invited to join the Honors College (late January) after the scholarship deadline, we realized we hadn't even heard if he had received the Dean's Scholarship. He automatically qualified for it with GPA and Grades. He emailed the university and they admitted that they had "overlooked" his application, but yes it was too late to apply for the Honors College scholarship, but that he would receive the Dean's Scholarship.

He's already been told he didn't receive any Kelley Dept. scholarships either. I was hoping we could piece-meal the difference in smaller scholarships, but looks like that's not happening either. He's applied for tons of scholarships locally, but been rejected by nearly all of them. Very frustrating to this momma. Wish they could do more with promising out of state students. Thank you for listening.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,560 Senior Member
    Well, their primary responsibility is to their own state's students. However it's true I heard ther had been similar mishaps this year, perhaps due to budget cuts reducing staff?
    If there's nothing better than your local university, or if he hasn't applied to other universities at close-to-Kelley's level or where his stats could let him hope a good acceptance (Colgate, Hamilton, etc), he still has a free ride, that's definitely nothing to sneeze at - and, I assume, Honors Dorm, priority registration, special advising, perhaps special trips... He can ask if he can defer, work/volunteer/attend a school abroad in the meanwhile, reapply to other colleges hoping to be lucky. Or he can take the free ride.
  • Belle11296Belle11296 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you, yes we are very grateful for the free ride at our local university. He will be in the Honors College, priority registration, housing, etc. It really is a great program. Just wish his first choice would've worked out but he's okay with it now. It will all work out in the end. Very thankful he will have no debt at the end of 4 years! :-)
This discussion has been closed.