Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

New Jersey Colleges For Social Work

newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
Hi! I'd really prefer to go to colleges in CA, but I want to have some back-ups in NJ, just in case. If I do attend college in nJ, it'll only be for a year or two, so I need somewhere where I won't have any problems transferring (I hear these stories often). I live in Bergen County, but BCC isn't exactly a great school, so I'd prefer not to go there. Rutgers has a good in-state tuition, and it's a good school, especially for social work. I'm also considering NJCU, which is a good school, and great for me because I'd prefer to be in a city. But, I'm not sure if these schools offer associate's degrees, or if they offer the kind I would need for social work.

If you want to recommend any other schools, my GPA is a 3.4/3.5, and SAT is 1410. (I'm retaking the SAT after tutoring, so I'll probably receive a 1500-1600, maybe better). I also have a few extracurriculars, and some volunteer experience. I'm starting a part-time job in two weeks at Subway, too.

Replies to: New Jersey Colleges For Social Work

• misschodingmisschoding Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    How about Ramapo College of New Jersey? It's in Bergen County too, I believe. Or Seton Hall University?
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    @misschoding Seton Hall is good, but 50K a year. My net price was 28K, that's pretty expensive for in-state. Ramapo is too wood-sy for me, and my net price is 17K, not terrible. But, I'd still be paying similar prices in CA, where I'd prefer to go. This why I don't see why it's worth it to stay in-state.
  • misschodingmisschoding Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    You could still apply to Seton Hall/ Ramapo, because they may give out better financial aid than you might expect. I know atmosphere is important, but you may end up liking the wood-sy part of Ramapo! As of now and for me, I dont want to attend school in a big city, but I may like it once I get used to it. I dont know if these schools offer majors in social work, but I also suggest: Montclair State University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rider, Rowan
  • mjrube94mjrube94 Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    Are you in the top 10% of your class? If so, SHU automatically gives Rutgers in-state tuition, which drops it down to $28k. If you have need beyond that, it might go lower. You could also commute to SHU from Bergen County, if that's an option for you.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    @missschoding I don't think Montclair does, but if so I'll consider it. Fairleigh Dickinson is so expensive, too, but maybe you're right about the aid.
    @mjrube94 Unfortunately, I go to a bad high school, the first or second worst in Bergen County. So, I think a 3.4/3.5 is probably the top 10%. Yes, that would be an option. That's great that they do that, thanks!
  • kelikakelika Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    my mom went to Kean University for social work which is in Union. instate tuition is only around $11k including room and board
  • CorrinToseCorrinTose Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'll strongly reccomend Kean!
This discussion has been closed.