Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

JMU honors vs VTech regular

JunatharJunathar Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
So, I got accepted into the JMU honors program and I got accepted into VTech (but I didn’t apply for honors there). What should I do? Which choice would be better for my future (I plan on going to law school after this undergrad as a history major)

Replies to: JMU honors vs VTech regular

• lastone03lastone03 Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    Which has the stronger history program? Which feels better for you? Which is cheaper considering you’re planning on law school?
  • 2kidstocollege182kidstocollege18 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Have you visited each campus? I’ve been to both and they are quite different in terms of size and location. Also, do you care about the excitement of Division I sports? VTech is obviously deeply involved in big-time sports, which can be tremendously fun. Have you checked out each school’s list of clubs and activities? As an attorney myself (UVA Law), I can tell you that campus involvement is important when applying to law school. Have you looked at the schools’ course catalogs to see which history department has the courses that appeal the most to you? Each school will have different class offerings. You should also check out the schools’ lists of majors and minors, in case history grows less desirable, you want a particular minor, or you decide to double major. Also, recognize that Tech has an amazing alumni network, particularly in the DC area.

Read the schools’ papers online to check out the campus culture. See what the students think of the school by googling “10 Best Things about JMU,” “Best professors at Virginia Tech,” “Best classes at JMU,” “Top 10 Experiences in Blacksburg.”

Really, I wouldn’t focus on which school is academically “best,” unless one clearly outshines the other in your intended history major. You need to focus on where you will thrive — be excited about your classes, find yourself eager to join clubs and activities, like the local town and environment well enough that it provides a good distraction and gives you an excellent four years. Great grades and involvement will get you to law school from either of these schools, so visit and decide where you are most likely to be happy and engaged.