right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

3 years of experience with distance learning as a homeschooler!

absfromcaabsfromca 23 replies2 threads Junior Member
I started distance learning my sophomore year of high school as a way to take AP classes as a homeschooler. I initially took three online classes while the rest of my classes were traditional. Let me just say, distance learning is a wild ride but I have enjoyed every second of it!

I took a Spanish class with a kooky old professor who loved to speak of his lofty opinions about anything from whether or not animals have emotions to what he thought about self-driving cars. In this Spanish class, I began Skyping another girl also in the class to complete homework assignments together. Needless to say, ever since then we've been close friends! We even got to meet in person and we continue Skyping and texting very often. The social aspect of distance learning is very unique yet exciting!

As for the academic part of distance learning, my advice to newcomers would be this: pace yourself and don't procrastinate! It's easy to ignore homework if nobody is getting on your back about it and you don't have reminders. Choose to make a schedule and stick to it! I love that I can set my own schedule and choose when to do my homework, which technically it's all "home"work ;) Anyways, enjoy the ride. You're now going through something that most students have never gone/will never go through! We're making history as so many students are turning to distance learning. Make the most of this time and enjoy it. I know I sure have for the past three years!
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 3 years of experience with distance learning as a homeschooler!

• CCadmin_JonCCadmin_Jon 122 replies16 threads Community Manager
    Pacing is so important! My son is a junior in high school and started taking classes online last fall. Since he doesn't have a daily check in with his teachers, he puts off work until he has to take a big stressful day to catch up. It's not fun.

The stereotype is that if you take a class online you won't make friends. Thanks for the encouragement that it's not necessarily true.
    · Reply · Share