right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

I got into NYU, UMD, U of W, etc. for Comp Sci with a low GPA AMA

Doodoo27Doodoo27 34 replies3 threads Junior Member
Hi guys,

I wanted to answer questions about how I got into some top schools for computer science even though I had a low GPA(3.62) and okay SAT score(1460). It was mostly due to my essays and extracurricular activities. Rankings are according to US News,

The full list of schools I got into:
NYU( 30th in the US, 15% acceptance rate)
RPI(Got Scholarship)(55th in the US)
UofW ( 6th in the US)
UMD (16th in the US)
Penn State(30th in the US)
UPitt(Got Scholarship)(49th in the US)
Baylor(Got Scholarship)
Fordham(Got Scholarship)
Juniata(Got Scholarship)
Robert Morris(Pennsylvania)

Waitlisted:
Northwestern
Scripps
Tulane(Economics)
18 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I got into NYU, UMD, U of W, etc. for Comp Sci with a low GPA AMA

• Lila BearLila Bear 62 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited May 3
    Doodoo27 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I wanted to answer questions about how I got into some top schools for computer science even though I had a low GPA(3.62) and okay SAT score(1460). It was mostly due to my essays and extracurricular activities.

Congratulations!

From your other posts, I noticed that you are a female URM. You don't think that helped a little?
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 1874 replies22 threads Senior Member
    It was mostly due to my essays and extracurricular activities.
    Did the person that reviewed your application tell you this? If not, you are just speculating.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 13438 replies31 threads Senior Member
    edited May 3
    "Did the person that reviewed your application tell you this? If not, you are just speculating."

Agreed.

And you had hooks most applicants don't have. Also, 3.62 isn't a "low GPA".
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Doodoo27Doodoo27 34 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited May 3
    (Lila Bear)
    Yes I am, but I also have other factors that work against me like my highly educated parent, going to private school, and my parents' high income. My parents also happen to be Nigerian, which tend to be overrepresented in URM groups. I did get rejected from some other schools with similar acceptance rates.
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
    Well for NYU and Juniata they highlighted that it was one of the main reasons, but it it mostly just me speculating. My extracurricular actives are really diverse and interesting though. I also think they helped me to get the scholarships I received.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4924 replies86 threads Senior Member
    edited May 3
    Congratulations on your acceptances.

Agree with the above that your GPA isn't low.

URM status, access to private school resources, low financial need were all advantages.

Where will you attend in the Fall?
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think 3.62 is a low GPA, but for computer science it's definitely on the lower side.
    · Reply · Share
    I'm going to be attending NYU. Also I understand that being a URM helps me, but I also like to think I got in with my other accomplishments: Student council President, NCWIT National Honorable Mention, Harvey MUDD WISTEM Program, working at my school's cafeteria, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 13438 replies31 threads Senior Member
    ^ Definitely, they're impressive and congrats.

But again, we're not talking about an applicant with no hooks and a GPA below 3.0 (what I consider a "low GPA").

I don't really want to give false hopes to an applicant like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lila BearLila Bear 62 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Doodoo27 wrote: »
    (Lila Bear)
    Yes I am, but I also have other factors that work against me like my highly educated parent, going to private school, and my parents' high income.

Please don't take my comments as an attempt to take away from your success. You earned it, and have every reason to be proud. It is just that others may not have all of the same demographics, and it is important to give everyone a full picture.

Did you receive any financial aid?

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82721 replies738 threads Senior Member
    There is more than one "UofW" college.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4756 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Did you ED full pay at NYU? And you are instate for UW?
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27879 replies196 threads Senior Member
    edited May 4
    A high scoring URM is better than "okay".

'Grats.

https://www.jbhe.com/features/49_college_admissions-test.html
    edited May 4
    · Reply · Share
    I mean University of Washington
    · Reply · Share
    No I am not instate for UW and I am not fully paying for NYU, I got some financial aid but no scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • choosy2020choosy2020 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations! Great info!
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9735 replies371 threads Senior Member
    Yes I am (URM), but I also have other factors that work against me like my highly educated parent, going to private school, and my parents' high income.

None of these factors work against students in college admissions. Being URM and having the ability to pay are hooks that actually increase the odds of admission. And attending private school doesn't hurt either.

It's great that you took advantage of all your opportunities and put in the work to get such great results. You've certainly earned them. But your stats are solid. It's a mistake for students to think that ECs and essays can make up for weak stats. In most cases they won't.
    · Reply · Share
  • International DadInternational Dad 342 replies10 threads Member
    edited May 13
    Congratulations for your acceptances, but, is not the same an URM that can pay 50.000 per year, and an URM that can pay 15.000 per year.
    edited May 13
    · Reply · Share