right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Support Thread for Students Who Didn't Receive the Best News

CC AdminCC Admin Administrator 29515 replies3005 threads Senior Member
edited April 3 in STUDENT LOUNGE
This discussion was created from comments split from: Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory.
edited April 3
26 replies
Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Support Thread for Students Who Didn't Receive the Best News

• pepethefrog54pepethefrog54 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Me too man, me too.
    I got rejected from all good schools I applied to including Northwetsern, uChicago, Columbia, Carnegie-Mellon, Stanford, Harvard, and MIT. I had a 35 act, 4.8 gpa, played the violin very seriously with awards to show, and was active in my community. I spent so much time writing those damn essays just to now go to UIC, a school with an average act 13 points below mine.

Your not alone and I guess I'm not alone either! Let's hope grad school will be a different story!
    · Reply · Share
  • gowestgirlgowestgirl 2 replies0 threads New Member
    You are not alone.... my daughter got rejected from 13 schools , waitlisted to 2. she is going to end up in school with 60% acceptance rate. 1360 SAT ; 4.0 GPA; eight APs , took the most rigorous courses of her class to find out that all her friends are going to Ivys and she is isn't
    · Reply · Share
  • jane2000jane2000 3 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi, I'm posting in the wrong forum (I's a parent, and I was looking for something else), but wanted to offer some HOPE.
    Given everything that is going on in the world right now, there will likely be a LOT of WL students who receive offers of admission.
    Consider: 1) It's unclear whether international students will be able to come to the U.S. to start school; 2) Huge economic changes will impact financial need and families' abilities to pay which, in turn, will cause admitted students to decline offers at pricey private colleges and universities.
    Congratulations on the successes you've achieved so far, and wishing you triumph on your journey!
    (My son, 36 ACT, 4.71 weighted GPA with depth of activities is still waiting to hear from 2 schools. Just got rejected by Brown. He has a couple options he likes, but financially...not sure we can make it work.)
    · Reply · Share
  • ColeWorld321ColeWorld321 3 replies2 threads New Member
    I was accepted to Umich-Ross but waitlisted by both Cornell-Dyson and UCB-Haas. I know my chances at Cornell waitlist are low and are decent at best at UCB.

Can someone please help me compare the pros and cons of all three schools? I know Ross and Haas are ranked higher but Dyson has the Ivy league name attached to it.

If anyone can help inform me about life on the campuses, the actual education (faculty, facilities, etc), masters programs opportunities after I graduate, and job opportunities, I would appreciate it! Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2720 replies83 threads Senior Member
    Attitude will make all the difference! Pursue the opportunities available to you and you will bloom where you are planted. Think about the money you are saving for grad school, your first apartment or car, the study abroad of your dreams, etc rather than treating this as a loss. It will be okay.
    · Reply · Share
  • khumankhuman 2 replies1 threads New Member
    I am a student of Asian descent in Texas
    Top student in the class-GPA of 4.0 (weighted GPA 4.6)
    Several awards-including 2 scholarships, award for top student in class, Presidential award
    SAT-1550
    Was involved in a major charity organization and raised funds for it.
    Got rejected from Northwestern, Princeton, Rice, Emory, Cornell, Duke, Yale, Casewestern
    I am still at a loss why
    Is it my asian descent? Is it because I was in a Hispanic dominated school. Several of the Hispanics in my school have got admission into a University of their choice, which includes several Ivy League schools. I have no problem with them getting into these top Universities, I just can't figure out why I didn't get a single of my top choices
    Have got wait listed at Northwestern and Cornell-does anyone know what are my chances? Will my race play a role in getting one of the waitlisted spots?
    · Reply · Share
  • doggiefandoggiefan 14 replies0 threads New Member
    i definetly feel everyone on this thread! I also was top of my class but got rejected from almost all schools but my safeties even tho i applied to 10+ reach schools. There's been sm questions going around in my head and feeling like i worked so hard for nothing. I know attitude is supposed to help you and that's what really matters but it stills sucks because you know this isnt what you had hoped for or imagined :(
    · Reply · Share
  • doggiefandoggiefan 14 replies0 threads New Member
    @khuman i also got waitlisted to Cornell and am an Asian who was top of my class. I also had legacy and attended a six week program there. I'm really sad about my results but I guess part of it for me might be a mix of because of essays/EC and obv ethnicity
    but keep me updated if u get any additional info
    · Reply · Share
  • t00tlezt00tlez 6 replies0 threads New Member
    just in case anyone needs to feel better... I also was rejected from 12 (mostly t20) colleges but have realized it isn’t the end. First of all, it is their loss for not accepting you all. You are all brilliant and worthy. Secondly, you will succeed wherever you end up, as you have proven that in your high school career. Who cares what any person or college says about you. Go and prove them all wrong.
    · Reply · Share
  • kaikyskaikys 29 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited March 31
    I'm also an Asian and my whole school collapsed from the admission. Our school was quite famous for getting people into good schools and this year, we have ONE ivy (ED), no UCLA nor UCB, no Duke, no Rice, or any other school around that level. I have a steep upward GPA slope with an unweighted 4.0 this year, ok EC, 3 APs with 5s and one 4 and 4 APs to be taken this year, and a 1510 SAT. I got only got into UCSD out of the 15 schools I applied to. Now holding onto my three sad waitlists from UChicago, UCLA, and Georgia Tech :'(
    edited March 31
    · Reply · Share
  • mpeteresearchmpeteresearch 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi everyone - not sure if this is the right place to post this but here I go: my son (1450 SAT, 3.9 GPA at a top school in the state, athletics, extracurriculars, you name it) also didn't make it into any of his top 10 choices. We're just gutted and the craziest thing is that our college counselor said that this is supposed to build character and resiliance, and that my son will come to appreciate this situation in the future. While that may be true (I certainly hope so), it really hurts to hear that kind of message - that despite doing everything right, it didn't work out and there's no additional options out there besides soldiering on with the safety school neither of us thought was going to be in play. I know the counselor's message is meant to be encouraging, but it just feels cold at this point...
    · Reply · Share
  • lakmaklakmak 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    It is nice to see the posts above. Hope the the waitlists turn into acceptances. We are keeping our fingers crossed. Will be a miracle if rejects become acceptances too due to the unique times we are in. No matter which schools are picked, all the hard working kids will be successful where ever they choose to go to
    · Reply · Share
  • sophieee123sophieee123 47 replies16 threads Junior Member
    Really happy I found this thread. I am glad I am not the only one who has that voice in the back of my head telling me I wasted the last four years of my life working hard when I could've just gone out and had fun like everyone else in my grade who is going to state schools. I got into one t20 school, cried tears of joy, hyped myself up, bought gear, got the okay from my parents, then after not receiving any aid my parents said they can pay for any of it and so I would be over 200k in debt. So there goes that. I still don't know where I am going to go next year. Iḿ not even excited for college anymore. I know it will be fine but it sure does suck right now. So I hear all of you who are disappointed, heartbroken, ashamed, etc. You are not alone and this does not define any of us or negate the hard work that we have done. We are just getting started.
    · Reply · Share
  • tenseMomtenseMom 132 replies3 threads Junior Member
    lakmak wrote: »
    It is nice to see the posts above. Hope the the waitlists turn into acceptances. We are keeping our fingers crossed. Will be a miracle if rejects become acceptances too due to the unique times we are in. No matter which schools are picked, all the hard working kids will be successful where ever they choose to go to

I hope so. I am also waiting for a miracle. They worked so hard for 4 years and now this. My DS also got rejected from 10 of his reach schools, waitlisted for GTech UMICH ( CS) and UIC-UC ( Computer Engineering after appeal which is also zero chance) . We never thought he will end up at State College with his perfect stats 35 ACT, 3.9 UW GPA, 12 APs, STEM school, Eagle Scout, and many ECs. Me and my husband is like " where did we go wrong" . I have no words to console him and even me.
    · Reply · Share
  • StudyEconStudyEcon 8 replies0 threads New Member
    We're going through this with our daughter now after she put in so much work and effort over four years to feel like it was a complete waste. And for those of you upset that have to resort to "state" schools, think of the unfortunate students like my daughter in California who cannot even get into the state schools despite excellent credentials. Their choices are to go to community college for 2 years and lose half of their college experience, or go out-of-state and go into substantial debt. Getting into the California schools has reached the point of insanity.

As others who have been there can tell you, in the end, the college or university you attend is not going to define you or your future life. Yes, certain "elite" schools might offer you a few more doors to open, but once you graduate college, it is all going to be on you to show they made the right decision to hire you. Going to "non-elite" schools with a more diverse student body is really going to prepare you for going out into the work world where employees from all over with different backgrounds have to regularly prove their worth. Many employers have found not all students who went to "Top 20" schools are going to succeed.

Use this rejection as the drive you need to prove them all wrong! Get great grades, work internships, and enjoy the college life and then when you go back to your 5-year and 10-year high school reunion show your classmates who wound up better in the end!
    · Reply · Share