Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is studying abroad really worth it?

Replies to: Is studying abroad really worth it?

• alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    You really shouldn't pay keepit much attention, he's a presumptuous, callow **** at his worst. I cannot recommend study abroad more. It is worth the cost, it leads to the unexpected, to live in a foreign environment. Many Americans cannot imagine this, which is what makes it so exciting for young students.
  • keepittoyourselfkeepittoyourself Registered User Posts: 1,546 Senior Member
    I'm not a ****. I think living abroad is valuable, though not in direct academic terms. I don't think that study abroad is living abroad.
    Forgive me for being blunt, keepit, but you think you know a lot more than you do. I suppose it is typical Oxbridge over-confidence. You'll get over it.
    You might be right about that, but who can tell. I haven't gotten over it yet.
  • ericaleoericaleo Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi guys,
    I think most study abroad is a waste of time (and money).

Post edited by entomom on
    erica, you shouldn't try to sell things like that on the site. It's inappropriate.

If you think it's a waste of time and money, prove it.
  • CatriaCatria Registered User Posts: 11,349 Senior Member
    It's a large plus for one majoring in linguistics, international relations, to name a few.
    I don't think it matters for linguistics. Perhaps you mean foreign languages?
  • CatriaCatria Registered User Posts: 11,349 Senior Member
    I always associated linguistics with translation and learning foreign languages... hence why I mentioned linguistics. Foreign languages, international relations, international commerce and area studies are still fields where the proper use of study abroad will make a much better undergraduate experience.
    Linguistics is the study of languages. Many linguists don't speak any foreign languages (though of course many do). I agree that for the fields you mention, some study abroad will be helpful, but only a carefully selected course, ideally a year abroad or a Master's direct-enrolled in the target country.
    Well, I'm convinced.
  • magellan26magellan26 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    Nice comment. I totally agree - and have experienced it. (Am responding to BrendaSummer's comment)
  • AmbiD77AmbiD77 Registered User Posts: 724 Member
    edited July 2014
    is study abroad still useful if a student has lived abroad for 12 years and is now living in the US?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,653 Super Moderator
    @AmbiD77 Sure, if you study abroad in a different area.
  • magellan26magellan26 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    keepittoyourself wrote
    America is not the wealthiest country in the world.

That's one of the main reasons study abroad is so expensive for US students - lots of disposable income to be scooped up....

(not too mention other sources of money to pay for study abroad - loans, grandparents, even crowdfunding...)

Not all study abroad organizations are non-profit. Some are out to make big bucks.
This discussion has been closed.